Thirty-five

Veronica's POV

I went to the Southside after school. After I saw the text from Jughead's dad, I decided I could meet him. Clearly it wasn't a good idea. Yeah, he was worried, but I went to the Southside knowing what I was doing. I just wanted to see what it was all about. At first I couldn't believe he was actually a Serpent. It got me to thinking. Cheryl and Toni have tried to convince me to become a Serpent just incase my parents came back. I never wanted to be one. I also just wanted to be with him. I don't know why, I just feel safe around him.

I left him confused. My phone buzzed and I had a text. I couldn't believe it. It wasn't Cheryl, or Toni, or Kevin, it wasn't anybody from school at all. Why is it now? We have five months of schoo left and they're coming back now.

My parents.

I read the text. It said I needed to get home now. It was my mom who sent the text. I debated whether or not I should tell Cheryl and Toni like they said. I promised I would, but I never thought they would actually return. I said that I would if they did come back, but now that they're back I can't bring myself to go tell them. My phone started ringing. It was my mom. I started shaking a little. Should I answer it? I don't know. It kept ringing and ringing until it stopped. I left out a small sigh of relief. There was another text. Again telling me to get home now. I started to slowly walk home. I don't want to go. I can't call that place home anymore. Not with them there.

I decided I would text Toni. I'm not gonna tell her they're back. If they're even telling the truth. I actually have no clue if they are just trying to scare me. But if that's their plan, well, it's working. I left Jughead with no explanation on why I left. I felt bad for him since he doesn't know anything. It's now currently almost nine.

Toni

V: Hey, are you doing anything right now?

T: Not exactly, no. Why?

V: Oh, what do you mean by that?

T: Just that Cheryl's having a little tantrum right now

V: Oh, nevermind then. I'll ask you another time

T: Okay...

I just lied to her. She doesn't need to know. Even if I did promise her. And Cheryl. And Kevin. At least Jughead doesn't know anything. But I have a feeling he's gonna worry more than he was before. It was because Toni said something about my parents, but she had no idea about anything at the time so I don't blame her at all.

I could go to Jughead's trailer. I could wait for him. Well, the text said the meeting lasts till late. I guess that would be pointless. I guess I'm going home to see my parents.

I got there and slowly walked inside. I just don't want my parents to be the first things I see when walking in. They weren't. I quickly made my way to my room. After about an hour there was still nothing. I started to look around for them. Did they lie to me? They did try and scare me. I left Jughead for nothing. I must've really confused him. I still feel bad right now. I guess I could just got to bed. It took me hours to actually fall asleep. I'm still paranoid my parents are here. Maybe they are, but they just haven't came here yet. I hope they don't step another foot in the town.

I woke up to the sound of my alarm. I quickly turned it off. I sighed and laid there for a second. Then my door opened. What the hell? I sat up to see who it was. Oh, my god! I was wrong. It was my mom. She had a smile on her face. She came over and hugged me. I just sat there. What the hell is she doing? I pushed her away. She have me  confused look.

"What are you two doing here?" I asked her. She started to get mad, and sighed.

"Your father and I came here redo everything. Including everything with you," I scoffed. What I didn't expect was for her to slap me so quickly. I jumped a little. And with that she left. Is that really it?

I got up and around, skipping breakfast today. I met Cheryl and Toni half way to school. They wouldn't shut up as I was in my own little head, thinking about my parents. What am I gonna do now?