13: sectionals

None of us really knew how to react when we found out that my Dad couldn't come to the competition with us, we were sorry because we knew we shouldn't have done the commercial and some people were confused as to why he had used one of the mattress...

None of us really knew how to react when we found out that my Dad couldn't come to the competition with us, we were sorry because we knew we shouldn't have done the commercial and some people were confused as to why he had used one of the mattresses in the first place. But we were all anxious about what would happen when we went to Sectionals without our coach.

Dad was trying to find a replacement and everyone had ideas of who it could be; Tina was convinced that her creepy math teacher was going to take us because he always hummed a tune when he walked to class. But I had an idea that seemed more realistic, it had to be someone that my Dad trusted so it was bound to be Miss Pillsbury.

"Hey guys, let's gather round."

We moved around the choir room and sat down so that we could listen to whatever announcement he was going to make, hopefully it was some good news because we were running out of optimism.

"Why do you smell like old people?" Mike whispered to me, but I brushed it off and tried to listen to my Dad.

Truth was, I smelt like old people because I had been staying with my Grandparents for a week now and everything, they owned just smelled like that. Dad had rented a hotel room for himself until he could talk to Mom about who owned what but he didn't want me involved with anything, so I was staying out of it until the divorce was finalised.

"I have found my replacement, so give it up for Miss Pillsbury."

"She's the one they made me speak to when they found out I was keeping that bird in my locker."

"So, do you even know anything about music?" Santana asked, sighing at the replacement.

"What's important is that she cares about you guys every bit as much as I do. Now, I don't know what the future holds for me and for us, but I know that on Saturday, you guys are going to make me proud. You guys are going to be great, so goodbye for now-"

"Wait, what about our setlist?" Mercedes questioned and we all panicked because we'd never actually agreed on anything.

"I can't help you with that. You've got to figure that out for yourselves." He sent us one last smile and then made his way out of the choir room, leaving Miss Pillsbury in charge.

"Well, we have to do 'Proud Mary' in wheelchairs, that's in." Artie announced.

"And 'Don't stop Believing', for sure." Finn added and we all agreed with both of those songs.

"What about the ballad?"

"I would be thrilled to contribute a ballad from my repertoire."

"Okay, you know what Miss Bossy Pants?" Mercedes stood up from her chair. "Enough, I have worked just as hard as you and I'm just as good as you. You know, you always end up stealing the spotlight."

"Mercedes, do you honestly think you're as strong of a balladeer as I am?"

Rachel turned to talk to Miss Pillsbury, obviously trying to convince her that she was better than everyone else; she was my friend now but I still believe in fairness and equality which is why Mercedes should at least get the chance to prove herself and that was why I was cheering her on, along with the other members of the Glee Club.