Twenty Eight

"Thorn-" Omisha's soft words were cut off as he pushed her back into the couch- her body dropping into its seated position.

"That you spent days, weeks, months right under my nose pretending to be someone..." his confession was cut off as he contemplated spilling how he truly felt. The discussion was one that would hurt them both.

"Why?" He settled on the question instead of diving into his feelings.

"There's a lot you wouldn't understand, but I never meant to hurt yo-"

"You meant to kill me." He cut her off. Omisha shook her head rapidly, partly to disagree but also to shake away the tears threatening to spill over.

"No, well yes. In the beginning, I was tasked to kill you but after the balcony thing I really fell for you, Thorn." He pulled away from her to return to his seat behind the desk.

"I-I don't want to talk about it anymore." He groaned out before clearing his throat.

"Thorn, just listen to me." Omisha stood up, trying to continue the conversation while she had the courage.

"No! Just drop it." The volume of his voice increased but Omisha couldn't let it discourage her. She instead moved closer until she stood right at his desk.

"I didn't want to do it, okay? I was-"

"I said drop it!" He boomed as he stood from behind his desk, his voice filling the room and wrapping itself around her like a python. Omisha stared at him like a deer in headlights. Thorn closed his eyes as he took deep, calming breaths.

"It's just business, right?" Omisha flinched as he threw her words back at her. The silence was filled with a knock on the door before Oliver peeked his head in.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but Diane you have a call from Sam. He said it's important, like really important."
...

"Yes, I understand that but can't we just...yes. Okay. Thank you sir." Omisha put her head into her hands. This day couldn't have been any worse. Tears threatened to spill over and she had to remind herself where she was before they could.

The mayor, himself, was imposing a stop to their 24 hour shift stating the switch is too dangerous for existing members of the shelter. No matter what solution she threw at him, he remained uncompromising.

Omisha had become extremely protective of those who entered her shelters and often found ways to help as many people as she could. The shift to 24 hours would've allowed more people to make it to shelter no matter where they were coming from or what they needed- whether it be a hot meal, a bed, services, or even a simple shower.

Thorn sat, silently working on his own stuff at his desk while Omisha sat in front of the couch. Oliver was once more out doing something so she was stuck until he got back.

"Loraine, I need you to send out a mass email." Omisha blew out another sigh of disappointment as she waited for the woman to pull up Omisha's email.

"Alright, go ahead." Omisha took another deep breath as she mentally figured out how to put this into words.

"Dear family, I'm sure by now many of you have heard the new plan for our shelters to begin operating 24 hours a day. Due to unforeseen circumstances, we will unfortunately be unable to implement this action at this time. All previously mentioned changes to pay will remain as well as new supplies will still be shipped in the next coming weeks. After that you can add in Sam's report and send me the new schedules so I can correct them." She rubbed her forehead in frustration as she listened to Loraine type up the email.