Eighteen

"Hi, do you have anything bigger than this?" Omisha held up the small package of Skittles for the clerk to eye. This was their third gas station and she was quickly losing hope.

"Yes ma'am. We have all the party sizes along the back wall." Her eyes lit up when she finally made it to the shelves. Candy of all kinds sat before her in the biggest portions she'd ever seen.

"Jesus Christ. No wonder we have an obesity problem." Thorn muttered as he too eyed the large bags. Omisha happily grabbed a bag of peach rings for herself before grabbing the biggest bag of skittles on the shelf.

"Here." She placed them into Thorns arms.

His eyebrows furrowed as he stared at her, "what are you handing me these for?"

"You're paying." She spoke as they made their way towards the counter. The clerk smiled brightly as she eyed the large bags in Thorn's hands paired with his signature scowl.

"I don't remember agreeing to that." Despite his words, when the items were rang up he whipped out his card and paid for the items.

"You two have a lovely evening!" Omisha smiled before wishing the woman farewell. When they finally piled back into the Escalade, Omisha dug into the bag to tear open her candy.

"What?" She rose an eyebrow as Thorn stared at her in disgust before he pulled from the parking lot.

"You know that's like eating straight sugar. There's no substance and it's a gateway to diabetes, heart problems, all kinds of other health issues." He went on and on as Omisha continued to pop the rings into her mouth- the artificial peach flavor something she could never get tired of.

"Well I'll die happy." She finally responded as they pulled into the hospital parking lot.

Excitement, most likely due to the candy, brewed within her at the idea of seeing Tammy again. Omisha rarely kept female friends as they just didn't click well, but Tammy seemed to be a person Omisha genuinely had fun with.

"Hello, I'm here to sign some discharge papers." Omisha smiled up at the woman behind the desk. It was clearly not an option for Thorn to join her due to his previous actions so she'd be free to enjoy herself. Almost ten minutes of paperwork later, Omisha was on the elevator- the bag of skittles tucked behind her.

"Hello." She smiled at the passing doctors and nurses. Being back in the hospital felt bittersweet. On one hand she loved simply existing as a normal woman, while another hated that she had no true freedoms.

"Ms. Ida?" Omisha wheeled herself around to see a man approaching her, the white lab coat letting her know he was a doctor.

"Yes?"

"Hi, you might not remember me but I was here for your intake- Doctor Matthews." Up close, she could see the soft brown eyes that melted into his caramel skin and the neatly shaven beard lining his chin.

"I don't but it's nice to meet you again." She giggled as they shook hands.

"I'm sure you're ready to see Tammy but I've just got some basic recovery things to go over with you. This packet will lay them all out in greater details for your reference." He handed her a packet filled with diagrams about physical therapy and her healing process. She was surprised to see there was even an z-ray of her broken ankles lined out with explanations about how each section should heal.

"Oh! Thank you. I'll be sure to follow it to a T." They talked about her healing process briefly, laying out the next couple weeks and how she'd be in therapy soon.

"Alright, after you're done with Tammy she's been instructed to bring you back here so we can get these off. It's been almost 5 weeks since surgery so you should be able to get back on your feet." He smiled brightly while gesturing to her bandaged feet. Due to her stubbornness, they'd placed her brace under the bandages so she'd be unable to take it off despite the constant discomfort of the ankle piece.