Captain Cold Returns

Dani walked through S.T.A.R. Labs slowly. She was finally back after weeks and didn't know if she was ready to face Barry again. If he was even there.

Her worries were confirmed when she heard his voice in the cortex. "Okay, but what am I supposed to do, just ignore Snart?"

"Snart's back?" Dani asked, causing everyone's eyes to fall on her.

"Hey, look who's back!" Cheyanne exclaimed.

Dani rolled her eyes. "Just because I stepped away from the Team for a little bit didn't mean I was quitting."

"Well, it's a good thing you are back, Miss Rhodes. Barry has a decision to make and I think that knowing that you are available to catch Cold will make it easier." Dr. Wells started wheeling around the desk. "Yes, I said it, Cisco. As soon as it came out of my mouth, I heard it."

Cisco smiled. He was happy and proud that his code names were finally being used by his boss.

"Well, if you need me to go after Snart, I'm more than happy to do it." Dani offered, hesitating to look at Barry.

"You  sure you could handle it?" Barry asked.

"It's Dani." Cheyanne reasoned. "She's basically a certified badass."

"And she'll have all of us to help." Caitlin gestured to herself, Cisco, Cheyanne, and Wells.

"I can handle it." Dani nodded.

"Listen, Barry," Wells spoke up again. "Whether or not you go after Snart, that's your choice. We here, we will do whatever we can to support you. But after this past Christmas, after the events with the Reverse-Flash... I just think he poses a greater threat to all of us."

Barry nodded. "Okay."

* * *

Dani jogged up the stairs to the West house yet again. Iris had texted her, saying she found something while she was packing.

"Hey, hey." Dani walked right in.

"Dani, there you are." Iris smiled.

"Here, I am." Dani smiled. "So, what's this thing you found?"

"Oh, right!" Iris stood up, brushing off her dress. "It's upstairs." She rushed up the wooden steps just as Joe was coming down.

"Hey." He smiled at Dani. "You here to help with the packing?"

Dani quickly shook her head. "No. I hate packing. Iris actually said she had something to give me."

"And it's right here." Iris waved something around in her hand as she came back down the stairs. "Here." She handed the object over to Dani.

Dani took what turned out to be a bracelet. She looked it over with furrowed eyebrows. "Um, I don't think this is mine."

"What? I could have sworn that your borrowed it from your mom forever ago." Iris lied.

"If this was a bracelet that was homemade, maybe. But... this is definitely from a high-end jewelry store." Dani took a closer look. "Seems pretty new too."

Iris sighed. "I guess that's what I get for trying to trick a curator with a bracelet." She took the piece of jewelry back.

"Trick?" Dani asked. "Why are you trying to trick me?"

Before Iris could answer, the door opened. "Hey." Barry greeted.

"Hey." Iris smiled brightly, ignoring the dirty look she got from Dani.

"You came to help her pack?" Joe asked.

"Oh, no. No, no, no." Barry denied. "Iris said that she had something for me."

"Oh, um..." Iris walked around Barry. She picked up a small red and yellow backpack from beside the door. "I found this in my closet."

Joe busted out in laughs and even Dani cracked a smile.

"I haven't seen this in years." Barry grinned. "Sitting down on the step leading into the sunken living room.

"Well, the nerd survival kit is still intact." Iris turned to Dani. "Remember when we started calling it that?"

"Yeah." Dani nodded. "I do." She sucked in a deep, nervous breath. "Well, I gotta get going. I'm supposed to meet Zander about a, uh, work thing. So... bye." Dani awkwardly walked past Iris and Barry, leaving the West house in a rush.

Iris looked sadly at the door. She had thought that she could get Dani and Barry talking but the situation was worse than she thought. "Speaking of work-- I am so late." She grabbed her jacket. "I promise I will clean this up when I get back, okay?"

"Bye," Barry called.

"Bye," Iris repeated, leaving for work.

"Okay." Joe dragged out. "You mind telling me what's going on with you and Dani?"

Barry shook his head. "Nothing."

Joe hummed. "That's funny because I have these two things called eyes, and it doesn't look like you two are fine."

"I told Dani." Barry looked up at his adoptive father.

"Oh, God." Joe's eyes widened in realization. "What'd she say?"

"Well, I mean, she's still with Eric, isn't she?" Barry asked. "I just want to pretend like it never even happened. I mean, that's what we're both doing, so..."

"Well, not saying how you feel is what got you in this mess in the first place. Speaking of which, we both know Iris isn't gonna clean this mess up anytime soon." Joe gestures to the packing mess around him.

Barry shook his head. "Nope."

Joe gave him a look, silently asking him to clean it up.

Barry sighed. "Sure." He sped around the room, stacking all of the boxes next to the front door.

* * *

"Hey." Dani walked up to Zander's desk. "You said you wanted to talk?"

"Yeah." Zander stood up. "Follow me." He led Dani into a less crowded hallway. "Cheyanne told me you were going to be handling Snart alone."

"Did she also tell you that I can take care of myself? Because I can." Dani said.

"I know, but still." Zander sighed. "Cisco and Dr. Wells are supposed to be here soon to show off some shield to protect officers against Snart. If you need help, you let me know. I'll have what I need to be safe."

Dani nodded. "Okay. But don't do anything stupid. You don't have multiple lives."

"Dani, I've been a cop longer than you've had powers," Zander said. "I know how to handle myself."

"You better." Dani hugged her brother. "I think I could get used to this brother-sister team up."

"You and me both." Zander pulled away from the hug. "You should get going. Make sure you're prepared in case Snart makes a move tonight."

"You got it, partner," Dani smirked, leaving out of the side entrance and teleporting away.

A/N: Joe finally picked up on Dani and Barry's issues so y'all can probably already guess that there will be a conversation between them soon.

I'm so excited to get closer to the end of the first season because more drama will unfold and it will be more fun for me to write.

Thanks so much for reading and don't forget to leave votes/comments if you enjoyed!