Mushroom Cloud

While Dani ended her relationship, Barry was working to save his. His phone call earlier had been from Linda. According to her, Iris said that Barry was still pining after Dani.

Now, Barry had to set the record straight. First with Iris, then with Linda.

"Hey." Barry marched up to Iris.

"Hey, what's up?" She asked.

Barry scratched the back of his head. "Um, why would you tell Linda that I had feelings for Dani?"

"I did not say that." Iris denied. "Wait, did I?"

"Okay, Iris, this isn't funny. I mean, I like this girl."

"I know, and I am happy for you."

"Really? Because I don't-- I mean, right now it sort of feels like you don't want me to be with anyone else and I just don't get it."

"Barry, I have wanted nothing more than for you to meet someone who is amazing."

"And I did! And you went out of your way to convince her that I was unavailable."

"Look, I'm really sorry." Iris apologized.

Barry sighed. "Great."

"Wait, do you want me to talk to her?" Iris offered.

"No! No, no. Absolutely not." Barry denied sternly. "Don't talk to her. I'll figure this out on my own. I just need you to know that I don't have those feelings for Dani anymore. We've both moved past the whole Christmas fiasco."

Iris stared at Barry for a few moments before recomposing herself. "Okay, got it. You and Dani are just friends."

"Thank you." Barry let out a breath. "I'll see you later."

After Barry left, Iris gazed down at her article notes. She knew Barry better than almost anyone. There was no way that he was just suddenly over Dani after being in love with her for literal decades. He just needed to come to his senses.

* * *

Dani strolled into the cortex. She furrowed her eyebrows at the empty room.

"Hello?" She called, dropping her purse and jacket on a nearby chair.

"In here." Barry's voice sounded from the observation room that branched off from the cortex.

Dani entered, noticing Caitlin and Professor Stein in the treadmill room. "What'd I miss?"

"Just some testing," Cheyanne answered. "So... how'd your thing go?"

"Good," Dani replied. "Great, actually."

"Really?" Cheyanne's eyebrows perked up in surprise.

"Yep." Dani nodded. "I'm finally free of all the guilt."

Cheyanne smiled. "Good for you."

"What happened?" Barry glanced between the two women confused.

Before Dani could respond, Dr. Wells called Caitlin into the room.

Barry turned to her. "You okay?"

"Yeah, it's just confusing," Caitlin admitted.

"What isn't confusing is what's happening now," Wells spoke with a low voice. "Ronnie's body is rejecting Stein's atoms like a host rejecting a parasite. The resulting instability is causing an exothermic reaction. I worry if his temperature continues to rise, it'll set off a chain reaction."

"And then what happens?" Barry asked.

"He could go nuclear."

* * *