CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

"We're all tired. Hey, it's not anyone's fault." Katara tried to diffuse the situation, but Sokka kept his finger pointed at you. "I'm sorry, Sokka. I really am. I know how hard it is to constantly wake up because of Zuko and Azula." you sympathized. "You should've stayed at the temple!" he fumed, and you brushed off how much his remark hurt. "Please calm down, Sokka. I'm really sorry for your lack of sleep, but you don't have to be rude about it."

You panicked, slashing your arm in an arc to make a wall of ice. "Stay the fuck away!" you yelled, and Katara gripped your shoulders. "This is it!" she exclaimed. "This is...the Northern Water Tribe!"

"Thank you," you smiled at the princess. "It is my pleasure, Y/N. It's cold out here, your children will freeze if you don't put the clothes on." you set Zuko on your lap first, working on the thick pants and parka. "Awh, look at him." you cooed, getting to work on Azula.

Your finished product was maybe the cutest thing you've ever seen. "Your children are beautiful, Y/N." Yue complimented from a couple seats down, having moved back to her seat when you were dressing Zuko and Azula. The chief stood up, beginning a toast to you and your friends. You tuned him out, creating a little flame with your fingertips.

Zuko reached out to touch it, but you batted his hand away. "No, baby." he squirmed, trying to touch the fire, and you extinguished it. "No. I said no. You'll make up Azula with all of your squirming, love." you hadn't noticed the speech was over until the chief tried to talk to you.

"Your name sounds familiar, Y/N," he awkwardly cleared his throat, looking away. "Ah, yes. Do you believe me to be someone?" you played with Azula's fingers, cooing at Zuko. "You're Princess Y/N, right? Do not worry, we hold no anger towards you. You are also running from the Fire Nation, and we can appreciate your dedication directed towards your son and daughter. Also," you looked up.

"you can waterbend. Which is very useful, but very confusing, considering that you break the Avatar cycle." you chuckled, patting his lebow. "I'm not the Avatar, or an Avatar, for that matter. I'm just a girl who had time on her hands and expectations on her shoulders. Not to mention, I only use my waterbending for entertainment purposes only, pretty much. I used it to help tell stories to the children back on Kyoshi." you sighed sadly.

"Sokka, we both know that you weren't treated like royalty." you called over to your friend, who was trying to sweet-talk Yue. "Ignore him, Yue. He just doesn't know how to flirt. Sokka, try, I don't know, asking her on a date? God, I've never even liked someone, but even I know that you're terrible at smooth talking." the king offered to switch seats with you, and you happily accepted, excited to be able to continue laughing at Sokka.

"How have you never liked anyone, Y/N? You have kids." oh, sweet, innocent Yue. "Yue, no," you sighed, tucking Zuko back into your scarf. "I was in an arranged marriage. I've never developed feelings for anyone because I didn't have the time to." you stroked your daughter's head, amazed that someone so small could bring up so many emotions in you.

"Oh. I'm sorry, Y/N." you waved her off.

"All in a day's work of royalty. I got Zuko and Azula out of it, so It's all good. Besides, who has time for love, anyway? It's a waste, especially with what's going on now." you watched as a waterbending show was performed. Oh. That's what they do now? Perform and play tricks? Pathetic.

"This is the Avatar, and his friend, Princess Y/N of the Fire Nation." Arnook introduced you to the waterbending master who was performing earlier. "Sup." Pakku recoiled at your informal wording. "Woah, calm down. I'm not gonna kill you."

Aang ignored you, grabbing Pakku's attention. "I would like to study under you, Master Pakku. With Y/N, and my other friend." Pakku's nostrils flared, and you knew that Aang had hit a nerve. "You and your friend maybe, but absolutely not her. If you want to learn waterbending, you might have luck with Yugoda. I will teach no woman, especially a firebender."

"Aang, take Zuko and Azula." you handed him your children, taking them out of your scarf. "You really wanna bet, asshole? Let's fight. It's not even me you have to train, it's my friend. So come on, show me what you got." he scoffed, rolling his eyes. "No." you spluttered, feeling stupid.

"Cheer up, Katara. At least you'll be learning something." you bumped shoulders with her, trying to get her to smile as you made your way to Yugoda's igloo. "If you genuinely want it, I'll help you. But I must warn you-" she wrapped you in a hug, squealing with delight. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

"My grandmother?" you ignored Katara and Yugoda's conversation, opting to take Zuko and Azula out of your scarf. "Yeah, baby. That's it. Wait-" but Azula had already fallen over into the snow. She started to cry, and you panicked as everyone looked at you. You scooped her up, trying to distract her with a fire horse. "Look, Azula. It's Mr. Red Horse, here to save the day. Mr. Red Horse doesn't want you to be sad." you plopped Zuko down on your thigh, trying to keep your children calm. "Yeah, that's right. Awh, are you two hungry? Excuse me, Yugoda, but I gotta go for a second."

"Woah, woah, woah. Katara, calm down. You will not be fighting anyone today." you tried to hold her back, but she squirmed free, starting to fight Pakku. "I swear, I can never get a fucking break." you watched on, slightly amused. Katara's raw talent was astounding, and you were floored at how she managed to harness such advanced techniques.

On Zhao's ship:

"I'll get you back, Y/N." Zhao smirked, his hands clasped behind his back. "Say, Iroh," he turned to the shorter man, who was looking over at the horizon. "You know my wife personally, right?"

i do be the CEO of writing OOC characters doe 😳