thirty-seven.

31st December 2018

31st December 2018

"Beer?" I asked as I stood up from the couch, pointing my finger at Rhodey who nodded his head at me, sitting on the other couch, his metal cage that would normally case his legs resting against the back of the couch. Steve, Nat, Rhodey and I were all lounging about in the living area of Headquarters, doing nothing but drinking, chatting and eating pizza to celebrate this abnormal new year, not that there was much to even celebrate. "Me too, please" Nat said to me as I made my way into the kitchen, pulling open the fridge as I looked around for a moment.

"I got a call from Thor the other day" Nat said as I turned back to look at her, the conversation immediately ceasing as we all turned to look at her. She looked down at the almost empty bottle in her hand, rubbing her lips together as we waited for the rest of her sentence. I pulled three beers from the fridge, bumping the door closed with my hip as I started walking back over. "And?" Rhodey asked, holding his hand out to her for her to keep talking. "Just told me where they had settled down" she finished as I passed her the new beer bottle.

"Thanks" she replied quietly as Rhodey took the other one, Steve shifting in his spot as I sat down next to him, pulling the cap off of my bottle. "Where are they?" Steve asked her as she ran her hand through her blonde hair, a tiny bit of her red roots already having grown back in and visible at the top of her head. "Somewhere in Norway, they found a small town" she told us as I nodded my head, smiling gently as I pulled my legs up, crossing them as Rhodey let out a small breath.

"I'm glad they found a new home" Steve replied with a nod as he leaned forward to the large table, picking up a piece of pizza from the many boxes as he took a bite. None of us said anything for a moment, knowing that we were really the only ones left who still would visit HQ nowadays. Technically the Avengers were still a thing, under Natasha's command Carol, Rocket and Nebula we're back out in their own territory making sure everything was in order. Okoye was also in touch with what's happening over in Wakanda, plus their technology is still much more advanced than ours, so Natasha had found the connection between the Avengers and Wakanda very helpful in her mission to ensure the earth was still safe from threat.

Tony left as soon as he was able to, and was gone by the time we came back from killing Thanos, presumably finally settling down with Pepper after all these years. Bruce had taken off about the same time Steve and I had moved out, he said he had something to do, but he never elaborated too much. Technically, Steve and I were consideeed as 'retired' because we had stepped down from official missions and duty. It was a nice feeling knowing that the world wasn't depending on you for once, but I knew that if we were needed it wouldn't take long before we were back in our mission suits.

"Pity that the ball isn't dropping this year" Steve said quietly as I turned to look at him, his arm lounging on the back of the couch as his finger tapped my shoulder calmly. "I offered to hack into it" I said to him a small smirk on my face as he blinked a few times at me. I was completely guessing that whatever brought the ball down in Times Square probably had an easy enough firewall for me to break into it and drop it for the new year countdown. "I don't think that's legal" Rhodey said as I looked over at him, my eyebrows raised as I shrugged my shoulders, taking a sip of my beer quickly.