forty.

June 2019

June 2019

"You're going so slow" I shouted at Steve, running backwards as he laughed, shaking his head as we made our way through the empty train. The sun was breaking through the tall trees, my feet crunching on the fallen twigs and rocks that littered the woods as Steve sped up a little bit. Sure, 'slow' for the pair of us was still considered pretty fast, but I definitely could run circles around Steve from how slow he was going. "Yeah, well I guess some things never change" Steve said as I laughed loudly, turning back around as he caught up to me, my arms swinging by my side as I kept moving quickly.

"Race you to the bench" Steve said to me as he immediately started running, the bench sitting on the path quite far ahead of us. "You're such a cheat" I shouted as I broke into a sprint, running the fastest I possibly could to catch up with him. He was still ahead of me as I powered through, my legs moving as fast as I possibly could, desperate to catch up with him. I managed to make my way next to him, both of us running as quickly as we could, the bench getting closer and closer. I put my head down, trying my hardest to break in front of him even a tiny bit, which Steve just matched each time.

We both pulled to a sliding stop as we got to the bench, my feet dragging up the dirt as Steve let out a laugh. "I won that" I said to him, setting my hands on my hips I turned to look at him, my breathing heavy from how fast we had just been moving, probably about the speed of a fast moving car. "I was ahead of you" Steve replied with a shake of his head, collapsing onto the wooden bench which was pushed to the side of the path, a smile on his face as he tilted his head to the side. "I was an inch ahead of you" I countered, my eyebrows raised as he shook his head quickly, adamant on his potential win.

"Let me review the footage" I said as I held my finger up, looking to the side and putting my fingers on my ear like I was wearing an earpiece as I waited for a moment, Steve letting out a chuckle. "Yup, the win goes to Ally" I said as I turned back to him, my eyes narrowed as the blonde simply rolled his eyes at me. "I will settle to say it's a tie" he bartered with a shrug of his shoulders, making me shake my head at him, dropping my hands by my side. "No, give me my credit" I said, holding my hand out as he sighed, nodding his head at me.

"Fine, you won" he said reluctantly, making me throw one my hands up in victory as the other cupped my mouth while I mimicked a crowed cheering. "And shes victorious, Alyona Ivankova runs at the speed of a car" I said as if i was a commentator of a sports match, my hands dropping by my side as I smirked at Steve, who just looked over at me with a hidden smile. "You're an obnoxious winner" he said as I nodded my head, sitting down on the bench next to him as I crossed one leg over the other, shrugging my shoulders at him.

"Oh, I am very aware" I told him with a nod of my head, Steve's arm moving behind me as he lounged it over the back of the bench. We sat in silence as I watched the breeze ripple through the green leaves, spring slowly leaving as summer welcomed us with warm winds and sunny days. "Lovely morning isn't it?" someone shouted as Steve and I both looked to our left, seeing a man walking through, a wide smile on his face and a hat pulled over his head to protect him from the sun.

"Not too windy" Steve said with a nod of his head, the man stopping in front of us to start a conversation. "Not too warm either" I added with a small hint of a smile, the man letting out a small laugh as he pulled the two hiking sticks he had in the front of him. "That's summer in New York for you" he replied with a cheerful laugh as he looked at the part of the path we had come from, pointing down it. "How long until the end of the path?" he asked as I looked over at Steve, thinking about it for a moment as I shrugged my shoulders.

"Around 10 minutes" I said as he looked at me a bit confused, Steve looking at me before looking back over at him. "Actually, might be about an hour till you hit the end" he corrected, making me realise that we had ran it way too quickly for a normal person. "I better get going then" he said as he pulled his sticks out of the ground, pointing his finger at the pair of us. "It was lovely meeting the two of you" he said as he raised an eyebrow, leaning forward a little bit. "I'm a big fan" he said as he turned to Steve, pointing his finger over at me, my smile falling slightly as i fought to keep it on my face. "I love the work you and your wife do" he told Steve, who nodded his head, leaning forward as he set his hand out in front of him.

Ny head recoiled a bit as Steve looked over at me quickly as the man caught Steve's hand. The walker shook Steve's hand, a proud look on his face as Steve smiled. "Nice talking for you, Sir" Steve said to him as he sat back on the bench, the walker starting to walk away.  "Have a nice walk" I called after him, my smile gone as I turned to look at Steve, my eyebrows raised as he smirked at me. "I love the work you and your wife do" I repeated, a scoff escaping my lips as I shook my head at Steve. "He barely even looked at me" I said as Steve out his arm around my shoulders, pulling me towards him as he kissed the top of my head.

"Aw" Steve said as I pushed him away from me with my elbow. "I'm glad he told you that he liked my work ethic" I said, annoyed that he barely even acknowledged me.  "Not like he could have turned to tell me that" I added with a roll of my eyes, Steve facing me with a smirk on his face as I looked at him, raising my eyebrows to wonder what he was smiling at. "He thought you were my wife" he said to me as I sighed, shaking my head with another deep roll of my eyes.

"The audacity" I said under my breath as Steve stood up with a loud laugh, nodding his head at me to tell me to get up. "Come on let's go" he told me as I stared up at him for  a moment, narrowing my eyes as I uncrossed my legs quickly. I shot up, darting to the side as I started running down the path again, looking back at Steve who swore under his breath. "Race you" I shouted to him as he started running faster, desperate to catch up with me to redeem himself.

——

A/N: for those who may not have heard, Chadwick Boseman passed away today due to stage 4 colon cancer. Not only did Chadwick work through his chemotherapy and countless surgeries to give us the movies that we love and find comfort in but he inspired black children everywhere by giving them the representation they deserve within the world of superheroes by portraying Black Panther. He changed so many lives and inspired so many people by portraying iconic black characters in many movies and I am forever grateful for the countless acting masterpieces he blessed us with. Thank you to Chadwick for bringing to life one of my favourite superheroes and my deepest condolences to his family and friends.

"More connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe."
- Chadwick Boseman as King T'Challa 

Rest in power, King.