-38-

[november 2020]

[donghyuck]

"The prosecution commissioned an investigation to be a secret proceedings," Marco announced in a grave tone, turning a glass of whiskey in his hand. The atmosphere was very tense and it all just looked bad. Minhyung sat with his head down, as if it was all his fault. I regretted that at this moment I couldn't support him or explain that it is completely different.

"Too bad" Steven summed up in a unaffected voice. We all knew that he had this matter deeply in the ass. Maybe if Interpol got interested in us, it would eventually twitch his face muscle.

"Definitely" Perez sighed heavily. He sat down at the desk as if thinking about an action plan.

"What will we do about it?" Mark asked, probably deluding himself that the boss had found some wonderful antidote to the unfortunate accident that had recently taken place. In Lee's head - only through his fault.

"You two? Nothing," Marco sighed heavily as he opened the laptop. It meant that our meeting here was coming to an end. "Literally," he added after a moment. "I don't want to see you here until the case is over," he said firmly. I exchanged quick looks with Minhyung. Strangely, we talked about this possibility just yesterday. However, in a slightly different context. "Can you handle it yourself?" Perez asked a question that turned out to be a question to me. I've always been in this triad just an impersonal shadow, always in tow. Well, he couldn't get rid of everyone downsairs - someone had to supervise documents and computers. Except that I secretly whore around with Mark, nothing connected me with this whole clusterfuck.

"I don't have a choice," I replied a little questioningly, smiling slightly. In my heart I was a bit happy. I felt almost like a teenager whose parents leave a free house for the weekend. However, I had to start thinking that it wouldn't be just a weekend. The long-term perspective of managing the entire data system alone was no longer so appealing. A lot of responsibility and potential pitfalls that I could fall into if Marco tried hard. On the one hand, I got the opportunity to prove to Perez that in such cases he needs me and I could build a position on it. On the other hand, it was also a great opportunity to make my life more difficult and have an excuse to get rid of me quietly.

"I can give you someone, I have a young boy here right now..." he began to seem completely neutral and I barely stopped myself from laughing in his face.

"Hunter?" I asked calmly, as if talking about the possibility of expanding the team with someone we know very well and not a completely stranger. Anyway, I was right. Marco was just waiting for the right moment, for the situation when he would be able to release his rat, that will check if the three of us are working as we should. It meant that I threatened him more than I thought before. Apparently, I didn't appreciate enough how deep I dug into the underground. This was noteworthy information.

"You never stop surprising me." Perez smiled to himself but I knew it was a smile of disbelief that I figured it out before he announced his plan to the world. The truth was I just made a guess. I was perfectly aware that the day when he would give us a spy into the basement will finally come. Hunter had been here for a long time and recently became Marco's bodyguard. He was my strongest guess. If someone becomes Perez's bodyguard, he is so brainwashed that until he finds another master, he's the most faithful of all dogs. "Yes, he shapes up well," man admitted cautiously, as if my insight had intimidated him and ordered caution in choosing words. He obviously thought about it for a long time and found his plan perfect, spotless. It made me laugh because before he could introduce it to me, I managed to check Hunter from every possible angle. In the outside work, he was still as hopeless as I remembered from training in the lower basement. The last generation of elimination in the forest. The weakest of the existing pack of dogs, which wasn't even brought by Steven to a close.