-58-

[march 2021]

[donghyuck]

I was lying in bed listening to the sounds coming from the house. Though several years had passed since my father died, I still waited for the sound of wood creaking beneath him as he climbed upstairs to drag me out of room. Specific crackle of stairs, from which once I shat pants, haunted me with as much intensity as it used to. That's why I liked to stay at Minhyung's so much. There were no stairs that scared me. I could sleep peacefully.

Nothing for years.

Silence.

Meanwhile, I was still lying and listening every night, although I knew no one would come in today. He didn't come in yesterday and he won't be here tomorrow. Because he's dead. And dead people don't go up the stairs. Although the feeling of being in danger was irrational, I was still awake every night instead of sleeping.

From gloomy considerations,  sound of the doorbell pulled me out. 

I opened eyes, wondering if my own imagination wasn't playing a trick on me. I rose carefully on hands, glancing at phone's display. It wasn't that late but neither was it early. The majority of the population was for sure dreaming sweetly this time of day.

I got up slowly and went downstairs expecting only one person. Apart from the police and Mark, no one was knocking on the door at this hour. Perez didn't visit me, Steven sent messages and Perez's thugs would just come in and not ask anyone's opinion. At the threshold, as expected, I found Minhyung breathing heavily through nose.

"What are you doing here?" I asked in surprise, letting boy inside. I didn't see any car in the driveway when I closed the door, so had no idea how he got here or where left the car. Slightly pink cheeks of the black-haired revealed that he had been walking for some time but not for too long.

"I have to leave in a few hours," boy simply announced, looking at me expectantly. Judging from what he looked like, Mark was in an enormous hurry to get here. Messy hair, an unbuttoned jacket, a t-shirt on the other side. If it weren't for the information he gave me, I would probably even laugh.

"Where?" I was surprised, however, looking at Minhyung's bag. It wasn't a trip for three days but much longer. Shiver of anxiety passed through me.

"I can't tell you," he muttered, slowly taking off jacket and boots. I sighed heavily as fell back against the wall. I didn't like it.

"Why so suddenly?" I asked, crossing arms over chest.

"I don't know." Minhyung shook head from side to side, coming closer. "I wanted to say goodbye correctly," he said somehow compromisingly, as if meant to add, not to argue. I nodded understanding and let him hug me.

"Hope so," muttered grumpily against boy's neck. I took a deep breath of his scent, squeezing eyes shut tightly. Marco was acting faster than I thought. I haven't had complete information yet. Taylor was silent. I had nothing to defend myself in case of such a need. Everything was getting complicated.

I freed carefully from boy's grip and pulled him into a light kiss. However, along the way it turned out that lightness is not what I really need in this situation, so when Minhyung wanted to move away, I only pulled him closer by shirt put back to front.

Who knows how long we won't see each other.

Who knows what will happen when Minhyung returns to New York.