Chapter 28

Skyler's POV

Today was the stupid basketball game, which I definitely wasn't looking forward to. The only thing good about it is that I can talk to Felix the entire time and not look into anyone's eyes.

School wasn't as bad as it was before, and Felix and I got really close in the past few days. I keep seeing Nora and Leo talking to each other through their eyes, but I didn't really care.

The thing that scares me the most is telling Felix about my feelings. Now that I realized it, I know that I really like him. I felt so calm when I was with him. But, what if he's not my key? Haruki said I would realize that he was my key after I admitted feelings for him, but I didn't get that feeling.

"Ugh, why are you so depressed all the time?" Felix asked me when walked around in the courtyard.

I laughed. "I'm not. Am I? I don't think I am. Maybe. Maybe not. I don't really know. Hmm."

Felix chuckled, shaking his head. "Well, don't be depressed... If you are. The basketball game's going to be awesome."

"I don't even like basketball. Such a stupid sport. Especially to watch."

"You're better at basketball than me, Sky. Why didn't you try out for the girls' team? You could've easily got in. And, be team captain."

"I'm not interested in that kind of stuff," I sighed. "I don't like doing physical sports. I don't even like to dance," I lied. I love sports and dance. I just don't want to meet anyone while doing them.

"You seem like a dance girl," Felix said, shrugging. "We have one of the best dance teams in the state."

"That's nice," I muttered. I felt left out.

"Are you good?"

I nodded, putting a smile back on my face. "I'm okay."

He pursed his lips, looking sad. "Listen," he said, standing in front of me. "I don't want you to take this as an offense, or anything. Can I ask you a question?"

I tilted my head. "What type of question?"

He looked up, thinking. "Umm. Like... a personal question."

I shrugged. It's not like he's going to ask me if I have superpowers. "Sure."

"What was that thing you said you didn't tell me about?"

"What thing?"

"You told me that you didn't even completely open up to me. You said there was something major about you that you're keeping to yourself. I mean, I don't want to make you uncomfortable or force you to tell me, but you're just so... mysterious."

Why did I even tell him that there was something major he didn't know about me? I wondered. "Oh, that?" I nervously giggled. "That... that was just something that I said out of anger. You know?"

Felix stared right into my eyes. "You're lying."

"No, I'm not," I defended.

"Yeah, you are. I can feel it, Sky." He looked upset.

"It's seriously nothing, Felix. I'm not even mysterious. Calm down. I don't have a secret. I'm telling you the truth."

I can tell he didn't believe me, but he stopped asking.

***

I watched as the cheerleaders set up on the bleachers. Nora, Leo, Felix, and I were early to the game, and we raced down to the gym as soon as the bell rang.