The Other Side 1

Ring of Promises

The Other Side 1

"Are you sure you're okay if we leave you?" My mother asked as she touched my cheek. "If you want, you can just come with us. It's not too late for that, we can still do something about it."

I sighed and just let her cupped my face. Her hand is so tender, it brings too much tranquility in me. Her touch is what makes my insides calm.

"I'm really fine, Mama." But surely, I will miss them. Her, Papa, and my younger brother, Casper. They will need to fly back to Minnesota for Casper's health. He's sick and medications here in Philippines just doesn't work well on him.

My brother always wanted our parents to stood beside him, he's young and still scared. Even though I don't want them to go, I can't risk my brother's health. If he needs both of them, then, I'll be fine to be alone for months.

"I'm sorry, we can't take you to your school tomorrow. It's your first day, yet you're going to school alone." She muffled my hair, again, her touch made my insides calm. As long as she will touch my hair and face before they leave, I'll be fine.

"I'm fine, Mama. I'll be with my friends." I assured her. "Stop worrying about me."

She rolled her tounge over her red lips before stretching the corners of it. "Fine, I'll miss you and take care, okay? Take care of our house and we'll be back. I love you so much, Caspian."

I closed my eyes as her lips landed on my forehead. I love you more, Mama.

"Caspian," my father called. "Aalis na kami. Iingatan mo ang sarili mo habang wala kami ng Mama mo sa tabi mo."

Tumango ako. I always looked up to them, my father is an honorable man while my mother is such a loving person. Together, they make a perfect couple. I dreamed of having someone like my Mama as my wife. Kind, sweet, reserved, and a girl who will love her family more than her own life.

As soon as the car drove away from where I was standing, tears pooled into my eyes. I immediately wiped it away. I need to be stronger for them.

The day passed by, I was inside the car, going straight to my school. I am now on my third year of high school. For a month, everything went smoothly.

"Callant, si Amanda! Hindi ba crush mo 'yon?" My head automatically turned to my friends as soon as I heard her name.

Kumunot ang noo ko. Callant has a crush on her?

"Shut up, Greg. Hindi ko gusto ang kapatid ni Captain kaya tumigil ka na sa pang-aasar."

"Kunyari ka pa, nakita ko kayong nag-uusap kahapon."

"Nakisuyo lang ang kaklase natin, Greg. Pinaabot ang tubig at damit ni Captain." I can sense the growing impatience on Callant's voice.

Maybe he's telling the truth? Or not. Who wouldn't like her? She's nice and kind, well, sweet and reserved too. Just like my mother. In other words, she's my type.

I met her back when we were freshmen. Lei è bella.

"My name is Amanda Marcus. I consider reading as my happy pill. My father is Danaus Marcus." I was staring at her as she introduced herself. She was about to get back on her seat when our teacher stopped her.

"How about your mother? What does your parents do?"

For a second, I saw how hesitant she was but still answered politely.

"My mother is Arkisha and my father runs his own business."

Amanda's like a porcelain doll. Gentle and eyes are twinkling, white skin, long wavy hair, pointed nose, and red pouty lips. I gulped as I watched her ate her snacks. As always, she's sitting alone.