Chapters 2-6

My heart sank. This attack took my breath away. His tone and words hurt me cruelly. Immutable pain in my chest immediately reappeared.

"Faïz!" William intervened in a burst of anger. "We aren't here for that! David is right, we all have to go to Eros."

"I'm not going anywhere with the Goofy gang!" cried Faïz, pointing to my three friends.

"Goofy?" whispered Lexy, tapping her mouth with her fingertips while fixing the air with a stern look. "Goofy," she repeated. "Wouldn't that be Mickey's dog?"

She turned to Asarys for a possible confirmation from her, but she seemed to hesitate in front of this enigma.

"No, you're confused," said David. "Mickey's dog is Pluto. He's yellow with ears—"

"Shit! Are you serious right now?" exclaimed Faïz, now in black rage. "Is this a joke? They will kill us all!"

I closed my eyes and pursed my lips. Admittedly, I was used to Faïz's bad temper, but I didn't want my three friends to be frightened by him, knowing that we would all be spending more time together in the future.

"Don't take it out on them!" I said. "They're just trying to help. David spent an enormous amount of time on the Callis writings."

"Zoe is right," William agreed, advancing towards Faïz. "Each of us can be useful, as David pointed out."

Faïz shook his head to deny this and ended up turning to Ray, who was standing back from the group.

"I agree with Zoe and Will," Ray said with his arms crossed. "We will all go together to Eros. From now on, we will have to deal with it."

"All right," capitulated Faïz with a sigh. "We will leave tomorrow!"

Loud voices were heard across the living room following this announcement. A hubbub of protests escaped from both sides of the room. Ray and William came closer to Faïz while Asarys and Lexy each took me by the arm, preventing me from hearing the conversation between them.

"High school, our families... Come on, Zoe it wouldn't be reasonable!" exclaimed Asarys.

"We can't leave everything like that overnight," added Lexy, frowning.

My friends weren't wrong. I remained silent, waiting for Faïz or William to announce their decision to us. After several interminable minutes, the three men walked towards us and it was finally Ray who spoke while staring at Asarys.

"Four weeks. This gives us time to plan out this mission. David?"

Ray looked at my friend.

"Could you continue researching further in the meantime? We need to know as much as possible about Eros and Kushisake."

"Of course, you can count on me," assured David, visibly involved in his mission.

"Perfect. I believe we can all go home. We'll reunite every weekend until we leave," Ray said before putting his hands back in his pockets.