Chapters 7-2

The warm air gently caressed my skin. The inn was a few meters behind me. I dared not venture further, although the paths were well lit by a superb crescent moon. Unlike Los Angeles, the city lights didn't pollute the view of this eternal starry sky. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. This is where I felt him, behind my back, very close to me. I hadn't heard him arrive, but I recognized his intoxicating smell, the one that had contaminated me since the first day I met him.

"I'm watching the stars," I answered, his question not yet asked.

His figure appeared in front of me. A smile split his lips, which made his pale face radiate. Then he became serious again, rolling his eyes.

"I have the impression that they are so close," he whispered as if not to disturb the night.

"When I was young, my mother explained to me that the stars die one day, that they were like us, not immortal, and that when we look at them, we actually observe their past. This story of the speed of light must have taken me a good decade before I understood it."

I shook my head, smiling, happy to revive this memory. Faïz stared at me with great tenderness then he brought his hand to my face to move some hair. His fingers on my skin sent a slight shiver through me.

"Your mother was not completely wrong, but not completely right, either."

Curious, I stared at him with an inquisitive look.

"Zoe, if I start talking to you about light years, galaxies, and hydrogen, I'm afraid I'm going to take from you another decade."

He laughed and I tried, hard, not to imitate him.

"I'm perfectly capable of understanding!" I retorted, trying to take a threatening tone.

Faïz breathed deeply. His eyes, sparkling with mischief, eventually rub off on me and I laughed, too.

"Okay, I admit that for today my brain would be have a hard time following," I admitted, giving him a pat on the shoulder. "But in normal times, I understand very well, so you can keep your sarcasm to yourself!"

After this short moment of complicity between us came the apprehension. Faïz regained his grave air. His sweet face turned to stone again.

"Tomorrow, you and the others will go to the west of the island," he declared with a look heavy with meaning.

"And you?"

"Barthey and the medical team found a way to keep me here. A conference had been organized for tomorrow with all the Leviathans. We need to summarize the disasters that are currently taking place in the rest of the world."

I nodded, aware of the alarming situation, and at the same time worried about his state of health. If Barthey preferred him to stay at the inn, it was because he feared for his life, and that was new.

"What's in the west?"

"Hùli. There you will meet the shaman of Eros, Issei. If we are to know the universal law of which the Callis speaks, then we need an intermediary who can explain it to us and teach it to us. His home is by the ocean, on the heights of the cliffs."

He pursed his lips and then gave me a kind smile, but his eyes reflected a completely different feeling.

"William will be present, I know you are safe with him. I will always stay in touch with you."

My hand went to his cheek to reassure him. His guilt was visible in his eyes. His breathing became labored and he closed his eyes. At that moment, he seemed to be carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders, and in a way, that was what he was doing.

"We're just going to see a harmless old shaman in a cave or a cabin," I joked to try to comfort him. "Now go rest if you want to be useful tomorrow."

Faïz nodded, then placed a soft kiss on my forehead before leaving. Deep inside, I gave in again to the hope of one day being his.