Chapters 15-4

Faïz

The ground crew had frozen. Silent and ready to attack, they waited for the moment when the enemy invaded the place.

"Which side are they coming from?" Faïz asked Min.

"Hard to say... They...they are coming from everywhere. East, west, north..."

"We aren't numerous enough," murmured the young man, worried about the turn of events.

He cast a desperate look at the huge lake, hoping to see the girls appear, but without success. The fog, too thick, was impossible to pierce with the naked eye. Racked by anxiety, he took his radio and spoke to Min again.

"Where is group one? Do you have any news?"

"Not for a while," replied the minister in an unsteady voice. "I gave them the order to go back up..."

Faïz didn't bother to listen to the end of his sentence. He turned off the radio contact with Min and started to go towards the lake, crossbow in hand.

"Where are you going?" cried Ray, barring his way.

"To check if they're fine!"

"Have you lost your mind?" he growled, determined to hold on to his friend. "If you get seen, we're all lost!"

Faïz looked at the group of commandos, who didn't flinch, and realized, after a few seconds of reflection, that Ray was right. Nevertheless, Zoe was his priority.

"They don't have anymore oxygen," articulated Faïz gently to try to control himself in this situation that was beginning to elude him completely.

"You have to trust them! They'll do it."

The young man took a step back and sighed deeply before adding, looking reassured,

"You're right, everything will be fine."

Ray, relieved, then lowered his guard. Suddenly, without expecting it, he found himself stretched out on the ground. Faïz rushed towards the lake without his friend being able to stop him.