Chapters 14-1

We were flying over a small part of the Pacific Ocean, which made me feel like I was escaping from the world. The night light was reflected on the coasts of the island, as well as on the numerous waterfalls, making the overflight of Eros extraordinary for the eyes of simple mortals like us.

"Again," I begged Faïz, who was piloting the vehicle.

He gave a small melodious laugh, then began to think.

"The fire extinguishers in my primary school."

"No!" I exclaimed with big eyes and laughter on the edge of my lips.

"Ray and I emptied them in Mr. Patterson's class. He had punished us a few hours earlier. He was furious. Our act of rebellion resulted in our temporary expulsion from the establishment. My parents refused to speak to Ray and me for several days."

"It wasn't an act of rebellion, but an outright criminal offense."

The car slowed down as we flew over a valley not far from a creek.

"I made mistakes like every child my age," Faïz defended himself with a most charming smile. "Contrary to what you might think, I haven't always put on my superhero costume."

I caressed the inside of his neck. My gesture was enough to give him a slight shiver.

"I'm happy to hear it," I said in a low voice, continuing to stare at him.

At that moment, I tried to imagine a little brown headed boy with big black eyes and a mischievous smile on the corner of his lips. For a reason that I didn't know, this pleasant image reassured me. Faïz shared his childhood memories with good humor. It was an era that was pleasing for him to share. I looked away at the landscape through the window. My breathing suddenly stopped when I saw just below us thousands of little blue, fluorescent spots that were scattered all over the sand, lighting up a beach of spectacular beauty.

"What? Are those crystals?"

"Yes, it's a natural phenomenon called bioluminescent phytoplankton."

At the moment of the descent, Faïz followed a luminous aisle, which served as a landing parking lot.

We were at the end of the island. Although the place seemed wilder than anywhere else, two women warmly welcomed us in traditional dresses. They each wore a large white apron embroidered with gold thread, with a scarves on their heads as headbands, both in the same colors. The two hostesses, with frail builds, welcomed us in the native language of the country, then put around our necks a necklace with a pretty blue translucent stone.

"Thank you, it's beautiful." I gave them a smile, holding the stone in the palm of my hand.

One woman, with a round face and smooth skin, thanked me with a polite nod and invited us to continue on our way without them. The wooden pontoon, strewn with a hundred candles, showed us the way to go. Faïz, silent, watched my reaction attentively.

"I never want to go home again," I declared, amazed by this magnificent scenery.

He gently grabbed my hand and plunged his sparkling pupils into mine.

"It doesn't matter where you decide to live. Know that it will also be where I live."

"Even in Hell?"

"The only hell I fear is life without you."

Moved by his words, I laid my head on his shoulder to get drunk on his sweet scent.

"Before I take you out to dinner, I'd like to show you something, if you don't mind."

I nodded in response.