Chapters 6-4

FAÏZ

Sitting on the bed in a room transformed into a hospital room, Faïz recognized the sound of hurried steps. Ray stepped through the door behind him.

"How long have you known?" he cried in an icy voice to Faïz.

The nurse quickly finished bandaging the young man's chest, feeling a palpable tension between the two friends.

"A few weeks before we left," Faïz admitted calmly without bothering to glance at Ray. "David told me."

"Fucking shit!" swore Ray, furious, clutching his head between his hands.

Faïz, with a gesture, stopped the movement of the nurse, who was checking if the bandage was correctly placed around his waist. She understood her patient's expectations and took her leave. When the door closed behind her, Faïz stood up, suppressing a frown. His wounds made him suffer terribly.

"I couldn't tell you."

"You should have! What do I do now?" Ray roared, pointing his finger at his friend.

"We will find a solution," declared Faïz, trying to believe this lie himself.

"Is Zoe...?"

"No! She isn't, and no one else should know," the young man said while buttoning up his shirt.

"Yes, for now!"

Before crossing the door, he turned one last time towards Faïz and added,

"Do as you please, but there's no way I'm losing her, and if this day shall come, then may your soul rest in peace."

Without giving his friend time to reply, he disappeared from the room, leaving Faïz alone, shot down by these words, which had just consumed him from the inside like acid.