Chapters 13-4

Faïz

Barthey, accompanied by Min and two members of the army, spoke with Faïz. The light from the hall of the inn was enough to light the small courtyard where the five of them were gathered. The young man looked at the big map that was handed to him. Armed with a felt pen, he began to mark all the strategic places with crosses.

"A team will wait here," said Faïz. "With another, we will position ourselves around the lake, ready to intervene in case of danger."

"It won't be enough!" said Min. "We must add a third team on the west of the lake."

"Too risky! If all the men are positioned there, we will have no surprise to counter the Brotherhood in the event of an attack."

Faïz then drew arrows on the map and added,

"We have to try to gather as many attackers as possible there to ambush them. The goal isn't to exterminate them to win this fight; that isn't our goal. We just have to leave with the ruby, safe and sound. Are the tags ready?"

"Almost!" replied Barthey. "Malika and her team are currently checking the weapons and setting each radio to the same frequency."

"Perfect!" declared the young man. "I can be reached in case of an emergency. Rest as much as possible. Tomorrow we'll need everyone's attention."

While the small team repacked the equipment and folded the map, Faïz saw Zoe across the bay window in the entrance to the hall, motionless. With her back to him, she seemed to be talking to someone. The young man shifted slightly and then had the unpleasant surprise to discover that she was in the company of William. Overwhelmed by the feeling of jealousy that he hated so much, he clenched his fists and contracted the muscles of his jaw to contain his anger as best as possible, facing the scene that was unfolding before his eyes.

"Is everything okay?" asked the inspector, who was about to leave.

"Yes!" Faïz assured him in a slightly brutal tone by turning his head towards the parked vehicle, the doors wide open.

Karl immediately understood the reason for the mood change when he glanced towards the inn.

"It's not that bad, you know."

The young man then questioned his interlocutor with a gaze, not understanding the meaning of his words.

"For Zoe!" clarified the inspector. "Being the center of someone's world is never good. At least you know she has someone to depend on, and who will be able to hold her up if you ever go away."

Barthey walked away without adding anything more. Despite the jealousy that gnawed at him, Faïz knew that Karl was partly right.