Chapters 11-5

Faïz

Although Ray was alone with the young man in the courtyard of the inn, he carefully avoided speaking out loud.

"Kiss?" Ray repeated, visibly surprised.

Faïz remained there, sitting on the small wall without adding anything more.

"You had forbidden any form of relationship with Zoe. Why now?"

Without waiting for his friend's response, Ray looked up at the sky, skeptical of the turn of events. Then he put his hands in his pockets and looked again at the young man who was standing, head down, visibly lost in thought.

"You haven't told her yet? Right?" Ray guessed. "What a mess!"

Faïz pursed his lips and threw a furious glance at his friend.

"I will!"

"When? Everything can end tomorrow and you know it!"

"Exactly, think about it! Telling her such a thing would make her vulnerable. She doesn't need that now."

Ray glanced threateningly at Faïz.

"Not with me, man! Don't tell me that you're hiding all this from her because you're scared of jeopardizing the mission. The only reason you keep silent is because you're just afraid that she will hate you."

Ray pulled himself together and looked around to make sure no one was around. Reassured, he came to sit next to his friend.

"And you?" asked Faïz in a whisper.

Ray sighed deeply and shook his head, searching for his words.

"Make sure that this day never comes, friend. I don't know if I could ever forgive you. You're going to have to make a choice!"