dabi | ⛈

prompt: y/n and dabi must struggle to make amends with a relationship that was meant to die in the first place.
category: angst
character: dabi
word count: 1979
song: arcade by duncan laurence

DABI SIGHED, the pounding in his head returning as he watched the flames eat away at the last photographed memories of him and his love. He bit his bottom lip, hating how bitter it made him feel; the fact that he could remember every little detail. His brows scrunched up at the thought, his scars stretching across his skin as he squeezed his eyes shut.

The one where her smile rivaled the sun as it hit her in the most perfect of ways as the shirt of his that she wore hiked up to her thigh. It was beautiful, phenomenal. And he would do anything to get it back. Despite that desire, there was this itch at his core, this knowing that no matter what, it was a loss.

The itch reminded him of his lost sanity.

The bits and pieces of himself he'd never regain.

A broken heart is all that's left
I'm still fixing all the cracks
Lost a couple of pieces when
I carried it, carried it, carried it home

Dabi's heart ached as he dragged his fingers against the counter, gathering dust against his skin. When was the last time he cleaned the apartment? His brows furrowed at the thought. He couldn't remember. Usually, she cleaned it. Despite her lazy nature, she always loved cleaning. That was something that always entertained Dabi.

To her, there was something satisfying that came from watching surfaces sparkle as sweat coated your skin. She always listened to music while doing it too. Perhaps that's how she dragged Dabi into so much Mother Mother. He hadn't even listened to them in weeks. His head ached again as he chewed on his tongue, wincing.

Try as he might, everything reminded him of her.

I'm afraid of all I am
My mind feels like a foreign land
Silence ringing inside my head
Please, carry me, carry me, carry me home

Y/n blinked, struggling to keep her eyes awake during her nightly shift at the gas station. Ever since she'd brashly left Dabi, she'd been struggling to make ends meet. She found a cheap apartment with some roommate that wanders more than resides, staying there for the time being. "Coffee, please." She snapped awake.

A young man smiled at her, his wallet flipping closed as he passed her some bills. Y/n swore for a second that his smile resembled Dabi's warm one; the one he'd give her right after she cuddled up to him because the apartment was too cold. She shook her head quickly, washing out the thoughts as she cleared her throat.

"Alright. . . one black coffee."

I spent all of the love I've saved
We were always a losing game
Small-town boy in a big arcade
I got addicted to a losing game

Dabi gulped down the water in his cup, his head tilted back as he coughed a little. His throat felt so unbelievably dry. Hell, he couldn't remember the last time he drank water. It was like ever since she had left his life, he hadn't had much of a motivation to look after himself physically. He was always mentally screwed, so he never bothered with that either.

The only time he cared about that was when she was here, but now she's gone too. His eyelids slid shut again, a tired breath leaving his lips. When was the last time he slept? Not that it'd make a difference. His eye bags would blend into his scars, as far as he knew. However, none of that really mattered now, did it?