ONE

"The Earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal." - Camille Paglia

Picture: Black Diamond High School (not the real name)

3rd person POV

"Goodmorning sir, what would like to order?" The cashier asked smiling, "Could I have a cold brew coffee?" "Of course!" She smiled taking a cup and a sharpie next to her, "What's your name sir?" She said looking up at the male, "Blake." He answered finally looking up from his phone, "Alright thank you, I'll call you up once your coffee is ready!" She said, Blake simply nodded and headed over to sit down at one of the nearby tables.

20 minutes later

"Cold brew coffee for Blake!" She yelled out, Blake stood up walking over to her. "Here you go, have a good day!" She smiled. Blake took his coffee taking out his headphones before saying, "Thanks. Have a good day as well." Before walking out of the store, taking his skateboard, and playing his music.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah

You're man on the road, he doin' promo.
You said, "Keep our business on the low-low"
I'm just tryna get you out the friend zone
'Cause you look even better than the photos

I can't find your house, send me the info
Drivin' through the gated residential
Found out I was comin', sent your friends home
Keep on tryna hide it but your friends know

Blake stopped his skateboard once he knew he was at the school. His eyes closed, feeling the music and eat beat run through his body, he felt at peace whenever he was listening to music. He felt, like he had no problems in the world, when he was listening to music, he was in his own world.

I only call you when it's half past five
The only time that I'll be by your side
I only love it when you touch me, not feel me
When I'm fucked up, that's the real me

When I'm fucked up, that's the real me, yeah
I only call you when it's half past five
The only time I'd ever call you mine
I only love it when you touch me, not feel me

When I'm fucked up, that's the real me
When I'm fucked up, that's the real me, babe
I'ma let you know and keep it simple
Tryna keep it up don't seem so sim-

"Blake!!" Blake's eyes shot open seeing his friend Christa standing in front of him, with a frown. He took off his headphones looking at Christa confused. "I've been calling your name for a good while and you wouldn't answer! How high up did you have your music?!" She asked still frowning, "Pretty high. You could've just tapped my shoulder or something." He scoffed, laughing a bit. "Next time I might as well just punch you!" Blake looked down at her, their usual staring contest beginning. About 2 minutes passed by before Christa finally gave in and blinked. "I win. Again." He smirked.

"Whatever! Now c'mon or we'll be late for class!" She yelled grabbing Blake's wrist and began running dragging him along with her.

In class

"Alright class. Today we'll be reading 'To Kill a Mockingbird'." The teacher said taking out his copy of the book along with another bad which had some extra books for everyone. He began passing out the books, "Do not damage the books for they are new. So any damages on them, you will have to pay for a new book." He added. "Yo Mr.S!" A student shouted, "Yes Paralez?" He asked, "Can we read like the first chapter with a partner then report back to you what we understood?" Paralez, or Jake asked, it was just one of his excuses to be with his other troublemaking friend. "That is actually a great idea. Except I will be choosing your partners." Mr.S smiled, Jake frowned angry that he caught onto his scheme.

"Jake you will be partnered with Leila." "WHA-" "Paralez. No yelling in the classroom unless you want another detention." Mr.S glared at him, "Now. Christa your partner will be Parker..." He continued on assigning partners, until he got to the last two people. Noah and Blake. How cliché. "Finally Blake and Noah you two will be partners." As if a bomb was about to be set off, the tension in the room rose immediately. Noah, the male who wanted to take that 'alpha' male spot for himself, and Blake, the current boss of the school, who would not back down without a fight.

"Alright everyone you have, an hour." The teacher states before sitting down at his desk as everyone began rearranging to sit to their partners. Once Noah sat down next to Blake, he smiled and opened his book, "Would you like to start or?" He asked, "I'll do it." Blake bluntly answered, "Heh. What would you be doing exactly?~" Noah asked in a flirtatious voice smirking, "Reading the book! Fucking idiot." Blake said angrily. Before opening his book, Noah continued smirking listening along as Blake read the first paragraph of the book.

"When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow. When it healed, and Jem's fears of never being able to play football were assuaged, he was seldom self-conscious about his injury. His left arm was somewhat shorter than his right; when he stood or walked, the back of his hand was at right angles to his body, his thumb parallel to his thigh. He couldn't have cared less so long as he could pass and punt." Blake finished reading and Noah began reading his part, as this cycle continued on they made it to the 6th page before their hour ran out.

He made everyone stay in their current seats, saying that they would be each others partners for the rest of the school year. While some students were happy with their partners, there were some people, like Blake and Jake who were disappointed at the news. They did not want to be stuck with their partners for the rest of the year. But they really couldn't do anything at that point. It was Jake's fault for even suggesting the idea so, karma got him I suppose. "Class is dismissed. Read until chapter three, I'll be asking you each a question based on those three chapters." He said before everyone began walking out of the classroom, along with the teacher. Blake was about to stand up when he felt Noah grab his arm, "Guess we're partners now. So you're stuck with me." He smirked, Blake rolled his eyes and scoffed, "Whatever asshole." He said escaping Noah's grasp and leaving the classroom.

Later

Blake was walking down the hallways looking for Christa's classroom, when he remembered that she immediately goes to their meetup spot once class is over. He groaned in annoyance before turning around making his way down the flight of stairs. "Blake!!!" 'Ah, great timing' Blake thought, "Yes V?" He said looking behind him to to see Vanessa. They were 17, about 5'3, short and fully blonde hair with pretty light orange tips, bright coffee brown eyes, they had met when they moved into the house that was for rent next to his house. Luckily for Vanessa, it was easy making friends for them because of their bubbly an outgoing personality. "Can we pass by the cafetería to get something to drink?" They asked hugging Blake's arm, "Of course V. Let's go." He smiled as he began walking with Vanessa still clinging onto his arm.