Chapter 9

The night air was cold, the room filled with the scent of the outside air.

My mother hadn't been home in two days due to work and to fill the void of being so alone, I left the balcony to our apartment open.

Hoping the howling of the wind would give me something to focus on besides the fact that I had felt so alone and suddenly so scared.

I'd never been truly scared before but the fact that I was going into our exam tomorrow with no quirk was horrifying. I was going to be alone, solely depending on the speed and strength I had alone.

Granted, I had always been exceptionally faster and stronger than the other kids, I was still no match for what their quirks had turned their muscles into.

It would never matter how hard I worked, my muscles could never compare to that of Bakugo or All Might. My strength and speed would always be equivalent to that of a quirkless kid.

I was pacing through the living room. The small space around me felt like it was closing in. I had slept an hour earlier but after waking in a panicked state soaked with sweat, it seemed a shower and pacing in the dark room would have to do for tonight.

I felt light-headed. I couldn't tell if maybe I had already taken the exam and died. Maybe this was my eternal hell. Pacing this dark room lit by the moonlight as my chest rose and fell with the speed of a newborn baby.

My phone was buzzing on the kitchen counter and I couldn't bring myself to check to see who it was. Something was telling me I didn't want to.

Finally, it buzzed so hard it flung itself off the counter and started to fall onto the floor and I jumped for it before it could shatter.

Izuku is calling...

I swiped on the answer button below his name, hesitantly raising the phone to my ear.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Asami! Sorry to bother you. What are you up to? I hope I didn't wake you." I could tell he was smiling.

"Um, nothing. I hadn't been sleeping..." I lowered myself onto the tile floor and reveled in its coolness as I awaited his response.

"Why not? That's not exactly healthy..." He sighed.

"Not like you're sleeping right now either," I rolled my eyes.

He hummed for a moment and I heard a twig snap from his side of the line. He was outside somewhere.

"You're outside?" I asked.

"Umm, yeah. Well outside your apartment to be exact." He huffed.

"Not exactly what I meant Midoriya," I climbed to my feet as I quickly walked towards the balcony, resting my hands on the railing as I found him watching me. He smiled cheerfully and raised his hand to wave before he jumped and nearly dropped his phone in terror.

Suddenly, he quickly turned away from me and ran his fingers through his hair. I could hear him breathing heavily through the phone.

"Izuku?" I squeaked.

"You're not wearing a shirt." He squeaked. I looked down, suddenly aware I was only wearing a sports bra and sweatpants.

I completely freaked out, slapping my hand over my mouth to keep from screaming and immediately hanging up the phone as I ran inside, closing the doors behind me.

I stood there for a moment as I realized he had seen me without a shirt on.

I tried to ignore it as I walked to my room and threw a sweatshirt on before slipping out the door to meet him outside.