Chapter 69

(My exams are over finally so I am back alive and here with a few chapters. And I passed so that is also a good thing)

It is daytime in Menagerie birds tweet in the trees around the balcony outside Ghira Belladonna's study. Inside, a shirtless with bandages over her chest Sunny lies on the couch, her head propped on the arm and her hands folded over her abdomen. A slow pan of her body reveals a bloodied bandage on her left shoulder where Lightning Lash had struck her, as Sunny blinks awake. She raises her head with a groan.

Sunny: Blake, Drago?

Blake is sitting on a chair across from the couch, her body facing her. Her head is bowed and her hands are folded in her lap. Drago was leaning against one of the walls looking down at her with a small smile on her face seeing her awake.

Blake: This... is why Sunny. This is why I left them all behind.

Sunny: What are you... wait, where am I?

Blake gets up and walks over to the couch as Sunny looks around in confusion.

Blake: I am done seeing my friends and loved ones hurt because of me.

Sunny: Blake...

Blake: Shut up! Do you think I like being alone? Every day... every day I think about them! Ruby, Weiss, Yang... they were my friends! I loved them like I never thought I could love anybody. And I hope they hate me for leaving. I don't understand why Drago even loves me and he didn't leave me at all for running away.

Sunny: You don't mean that. They all love you and Drago won't leave you, right Drago.

Drago was about to say something but he was cut off making him frown.

Blake: Yes, I do!

She is forceful enough with her voice that Sunny pulls back.

Blake: Everyone thinks they can help me, but they can't. You saw Ilia last night and she's not even the worst! No. No more. They're better off without me. I made my choices and I'll deal with the consequences because they belong to me.

Sunny: You think you're being selfless, but you're not. Yeah, that chameleon friend of yours got me pretty good. But I'd do it all again if it meant protecting you.

Blake turns to face her, surprised.

Sunny: And I can promise Yang would say the same.

Blake turns away, looking down. Drago sends a small smile before leaving the room letting there be a moment between them. The door closes behind him making them look confused.

Sunny: You can make your own choices, sure. But you don't get to make ours. When your friends fight for you, it's because we want to. So stop pushing us out! It hurts more than anything the bad guys could ever do to us.

Sunny looks at the floor and Blake, who had turned to face her, turns away again.

Sunny: But, if it makes you feel any better, the next time I go up against Lizard Girl, it won't be for you - it'll be to get even.

She attempts to point to her would with her left thumb, but she can not complete the motion and it aggravates her injury. Sunny winces in pain and Blake laughs.

Blake: My hero. Where did Drago go?

The door behind Blake, the same one that Sunny crashed through the night before, crashes down again. This time it is Kali embarrassing herself through eavesdropping too closely. Behind her, Ghira looks down at her on the ground with his hand on his hip. Kali pops upward again.

Kali: Oh! Oh dear, would you look at that, she's awake! Thank goodness!

Ghira: Kali, please.

Blake: Mom!