Chapter 70

The Nuckelavee comes into view, twitching its various body parts. It sends out a shockwave roar that causes all four teenagers to flinch, Snow was frowning seeing the beast look at them. The Grimm looks at the teenagers and turns its head to look at Quill and begins running toward her. Snow sees that and she stands in front of Quill and she clenches her hand. Jane sheaths her sword and makes a run for Quill and Snow. The Nuckelavee lashes out with one of its arms, able to extend it at a far reach. Snow sees Jane being too close making her push her away and moves a little to the side and she catches the hand of the beast with a frown. Jane looks at Snow shocked but snow sends her a small smile.

Snow: Grab Quill and get out of here.

Jane nods her head and grabs Quill then Ren uses her Semblance to hide Jane and Quill from the Grimm, which stops short and looks about in confusion. Jane stands still, staring at the Grimm.

Ren: Just get her to safety!

Jane walks away with Quill while the battle resumes. Shee sets Quill down behind a building and narrows her eyes at the wounded man before turning to leave. Quill grabs her by the hand but falls unconscious before she can say anything. Jane gives Quill another look before rejoining the fight. The Grimm is using its arms to grab hold of each of Jane's teammates but is continually distracted by the fire of the next one.

Jane: Guys, keep moving, go in a circle!

The team follows this plan, and Ruby gets distracted when Jane sheaths his sword after landing a strike.

Ruby: What are you doing?

She smiles when she realizes that Jane is using her upgraded Crocea Mors to land strikes on the beast. The fight continues and Ren ends up pinned to a building by a Nuckelavee extended arm.

Nora: Ruby!

Snow: NO DON'T.

Ruby nods, and she uses Crescent Rose to launch Nora in between Ren and the Nuckelavee's would-be fatal strike with its other hand. Snow runs and she jumps before Nora and she is grabbed by the other hand. Her eyes widen and she is slammed against the ground hard making her cough. She looks at the monster and it looks back before slamming her again on the ground hard letting the floor dent under her. Snow is frowning but the monster just slams her on the floor again. Nora runs at the beast and tries to hit but she is knocked to the floor, her aura depleted. Ren uses StormFlower to give herself leverage to pull the Nuckelavee hand off of her. She repeatedly goes after the creature, exhibiting reckless behaviour, her eyes wild.

Jane: Ren! Knock it off! We need to save Snow!!

Ren ignores her and ends up on the ground beside Nora, separated from StormFlower and her Aura also depleted. The two partners rise together, Nora first. Ren's eyes are only on the creature, and Nora tackles her and drags her under a building. The Nuckelavee advances, Snow still being held in one hand but Jane blocks it with Crocea Mors. Ren attempts to rejoin the fight but Nora holds her back by the wrist, her head down.

Ren: Nora, let go! Nora, they're going to get hurt if we don't—

Without even looking up, Nora slaps Ren. He stops and turns to face her, and she finally let's go, putting her hands in her lap.

Nora: No. I won't let you kill yourself like this. After everything we've been through, I won't let it end. Remember the promise we made with that lady as well. We always wanted to fight alongside her as well.

She raises her head, but Ren sees her memory of Nora as a scared little girl before blinking and seeing her normally. Like back then, she has tears in her eyes.

Nora: Not like this.

Ren sighs and pulls the knife her father gave her out of her boot. She holds it in both hands. Nora places her hand on the hilt with her and closes her fingers around it. She looks at her with a fierce, determined expression.