Not The One

(Do Yejun played by Kwon Eunseong)

Ch.2

The kids were currently playing outside in the small patio. It was easy for them to distract themselves when they had someone to play with. Both of them were completely unaware to the adult conversation occurring inside. You were staring down at your cup of water, your reflection staring back at you with the same exasperated expression. You were feeling this way for a multitude of reasons. It didn't have anything to do with your son yet it slightly did. He did nothing wrong though. Yejun is a good boy like he always is. He was outside with your sister's son who was four years older.

Yejun was just five years old meanwhile his cousin was nine. Jaehwa was visiting you just to check in on how you were doing. It was good to see your sister again as well as your nephew. Unfortunately you couldn't see her other son who was sixteen years old. He was busy with a summer program that should be ending in a couple weeks. At least you got to see your family for a bit. It was just any other casual visit while the kids didn't have school. The only difference this time around was your sister giving you a push to start dating again. It had been a thought on your mind recently when you finally decided to just go for it.

The app had been downloaded on your phone with the profile barely filled out. It was something you had been putting off with work in the way and trying to take care of your son. Honestly, you were finding every excuse in the book to not throw yourself out there. For what reason? You weren't sure. It's not like you weren't ready to start seeing a guy again. It was just...scary. That probably sounded stupid, but that's what big sisters are there for. They assure you that there's nothing to be worried about. Jaehwa was five years older than you at thirty-three and she already had such a beautiful family. Your entire family never quite had the best luck with having the typical family.

Your mother got pregnant at sixteen with Jaehwa then had you when she turned twenty-one. You don't really remember much of your father, but what you do know was that he bailed on you guys. Jaehwa had to grow up with more of the hurt than you did. Growing up with just your Mom and Jaehwa in the picture was basically all you knew. Not having a father didn't impact you in the same way it did with Jaehwa. While your mother worked her @ss off to raise two kids alone and financially support the three of you, Jaehwa entered her rebellious years. Years that she now looks back on and wants to hit her head against a wall. But you can't change the past. Jaehwa ended up getting pregnant at seventeen with her first son.

Gosh, you remember that day like it was yesterday. Waking up in the early morning to hear screaming coming from your sister's room. It made no sense on why there was so much noise while you were sleeping. You were only twelve and sleepy so it didn't occur to you that maybe you shouldn't have wandered in the room to check what was going on. When you walked in, Mom had trash spilled out on the floor of Jaehwa's bedroom. It was a bunch of tissues, candy wrappers, but the only one that mattered was what Mom was holding in her hand. Jaehwa was crying on the floor when it finally hit you that this was serious. You were young, but you knew what a pregnancy test was and it all clicked.

That was a whole mess. Mom felt like she was witnessing history repeat itself all over again. She felt like she let down her daughter. Mom took a lot of the blame and guilt, but Jaehwa didn't let her. As not great as the timing was, it actually managed to strengthen the relationship between the three of you. Jaehwa decided she was going to raise her son by herself since her ex-boyfriend was a coward. All he did was spread lies about her at school then ditched town. Screw him. What mattered was that Jaehwa got a wakeup call from this experience.

It was beautiful to see her finally taking charge of her life. You knew you shouldn't get pregnant when you're just a teen, but you did admire your sister for working with what life had given her. It was tough a lot in the beginning. Jaehwa is strong though. She was raising her son with support of her family, working at a donut shop, and doing her best to get a college degree online. The way she fought was something you'll never forget. And eventually, she ended up finding a guy and falling in love. Her son was three by that time. Next thing you know, Jaehwa was getting married to your now brother-in-law, settling down, and pregnant again at twenty-four. She was living the life Mom had dreamt for her. Happy and stable.