Chapter Fifty-One: He's Dead

Previously......

We arrived at the small island in the center of the lake and we all stepped out, "Remember... the water." The Headmaster reminds us. The only thing on this island was a glowing green bisan filled with a clear potion. The three of us hover over us.

"According to Kreecher's story, it had to be drunk to get to the Horcrux." I said out loud as I looked at the headmaster.

"That is correct, Aria." Dumbledore sighed before looking at me, "You remember the condition on which I brought you both with me?" We both nodd. "This potion might paralyze me. It might cause me to forget why I'm here. It might create so much pain I beg for relief. You are not to indulge these requests. It is your job to make sure I keep drinking this potion even if you have to force it down my throat. Understood?"

"Why can't I drink it, sir?" Harry questioned.

"Because I am much older, much cleverer... and much less valuable." Dumbledore takes the goblet in his hands, "Your good health, Harry." Then he brings it to his lips, taking a long drink of the potion, closing his eyes.

"Professor?"

Next.............

"Professor?" Harry questioned, making sure Dumbledore was okay. The Headmaster shakes his head, silencing my brother, dipping into the basin once more, then twice more. Suddenly, his hand begins to tremble as he grips the side of the basin.

"Professor?" I questioned.

"Can you hear me?" Harry asked. The headmaster said nothing then his eyes began to twitch, his hand trembling more severely this time, nearly dropping the goblet. Harry and I both reach out, concerned, trying to steady the man.

"Don't... don't make me..." Dumbledore begged with an anguished face but Harry and I both knew we had to continue.

"Professor, you can't stop." I told him, "You have to continue, like you instructed us to."

"Noooo!" The headmaster cried. Harry staggers back but I stay by Dumbledore. I grasp the goblet from his hand and give it to my brother.

"Harry, you know what we have to do." I said, looking at my brother. He nodded in agreement before filling up the goblet and handing it back to me.

"Make it stop... Please... make it stop..." Dumbledore begged.

"It'll stop as soon as you finish the potion, professor." I told him, feeling guilty. I put the goblet to his lip and tipped it into his mouth so he'd drink it. Once it was empty, I handed it off to my brother once more and I listened to Dumbledore ramble. He gives me the goblet again and Dumbldore drinks.

"Too much... I can't... take it... I want... to die... kill... kill me... KILL ME, ARIA!" The headmaster cried in anguish. I was taken back. I knew he was dying, I've known that the whole time. "Your word, Aria, your word!"

"I will not kill you." I told him.

"KILL ME! IT'S THE ONLY WAY!" The tired old man shouted. Then he collapses, rolling onto his back. I handed the goblet to my brother again.

"How much more?" I asked him.

"There isn't much left." My brother informed me as he handed me back the goblet. I kneeled by Dumbledore.

"One more. Just one more. Please." I asked him. "We have to do this." Dumbeldore's jaw was clenched shut. "If we don't, Voldemort wins, do you want that?" He glared at me before relaxing his jaw and I put the potion in his mouth. You could tell the pain in Dumbledore's face. "Harry, get water." I watch my brother go back to the basin and pull out an amulet before casting Aguamenti into it.