Chapter Fourteen: Dementors

That summer was the longest one yet. The awaiting dread of me knowing who my real parents are but my 'mum' didn't know I knew. We got into more fights, I started questioning her more and why she did things and she got upset because of it. I got letters from both Fred and George while they were in Egypt. I also got letters from Draco, we'd become closer over the summer since my 'mum' would actually let me reply to them this year. Then Sirius Black escaped from Azkaban. That sent her into alert mode. It was concerning. I'd never seen her freak out this much before. She almost didn't want to send me to school this year but I convinced her that Hogwarts would be the safest place for me. Luckily, she agreed.

It was on the train to Hogwarts when we knew this was going to an intense year. I sat with Fred and George, they were talking about their trip to Egypt. It sounded like a lot of fun, then they asked. "How was your summer?"

"Well, it wasn't great." I sighed, "We fought a lot and I almost wasn't able to come this year because of Sirius Black." After talking for awhile the train stopped and we were all confused. The train darkens and gets a chill.

"What is going on?" Fred questioned.

"I don't know but whatever it is, I have a feeling it has to do with Sirius Black." I commented.

"There's something moving out there." George said. The window started to ice and everytime you breathed you could see it.

"Does anyone else feel like the happiness was just sucked out of the room?" Fred asked. George and I both agreed. The compartment door then opens revealing a large cloaked figure. I started to feel all of my darkest memories, including one I didn't know existed. Then I passed out after a bright silverlight.

"Aria. Are you okay?" One of the twins asked.

"What the hell happened?" I questioned, rubbing my head.

"Dementors." A strange man that I didn't know, told me. "Here, chocolate, it will help." He handed me chocolate and I took it out of his hand and took a bite out of it.

"Thanks." I nodded at him.

"It was searching for Sirius Black." Fred told me.

"Why did it attack me?" I asked. "And who are you?"

"I'm Professor Lupin and I'd like to know the same thing." Professor Lupin told me.

"I'm Aria West." I introduced myself, I could tell there was an ounce of hope in his eyes when I said Aria but I killed it when I said my last name. Can I trust him to tell him? Who was he to my parents? Soon after Professor Lupin left.

"Harry had the same thing happen to him." George told me and I just nodded.

"Were we the only two?" I asked and both of the twins nodded.

"Do you think you know why it happened, Aria?" Fred asked.

"No, but if Harry was the other one to pass out... I only have ideas." I sighed. They just looked at me expecting me to explain. "The night I was kidnapped and he-who-mustn't-be-named died... maybe he passed something to Harry and I." I suggested. "Maybe that's why the Dementors attacked us but they think we are him." They looked at me as if it made sense but they were conflicted.

It wasn't long after that we were at Hogwarts, in the Great Hall. I noticed Lupin at the high table sitting with Professor Snape, McGonagall, Hagrid, Dumbledore and the rest of the teachers. We were listening to the Frog Choir singing and once they concluded they took their seats and Dumbledore began his speech. "Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say, before we become befuddled by our excellent feast. I myself am particularly looking forward to the flaming kiwi cups, which, while somewhat treacherous for those of us with facial hair..." McGonagall cleared her throat. "Mm. Yes. First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts. Good luck to you, Professor." There was an applause, "As some of you may know, Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher for many years, has decided to retire in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be filled by none other than our own Rubeus Hagrid!" There was another applause, Hagrid stood up, moving the staff table. Then he sat down and Dumbledore's happy nature turned dark and grave, "Finally, on a more disquieting note, Hogwarts, at the request of the Ministry of Magic, will, until further notice, play host to the Dementors of Azkaban." A murmur filled the Great Hall. "The Dementors will be stationed at the entrances to the grounds. While they are under strict orders not to enter the castle itself, you will on occasion see them as you go about your daily activities. Under no circumstances are you to approach them. It is not in the nature of a Dementor to be forgiving." I saw Draco give me a worried glance from the Slytherin table, I could tell he knew what had happened.