Chapter 2 ~ The Siphoner

"A vampire," he replied in answer to his own question

"A vampire," he replied in answer to his own question. He frowned slightly. "Or a werewolf? Or both?"

"A Hybrid," I corrected through gritted teeth.

"It speaks," Kai gasped. "Well, you're the first 'Hybrid'," he used his fingers as quotation marks, "that I've ever met. You must be pretty special, huh?" Hands shoved in the pockets of his navy cargo shorts, he made a step towards me. I took a step back in return.

"Easy," he chuckled, raising his hands up in surrender. "I just wanted to see who you were and what you were doing here."

"You've been following me?" I questioned, anger slowly slithering up my spine. I knew I hadn't been going crazy. Well, that was a relief at least.

Mystery man bobbed his head once. "Yep. Sorry about all the secrecy by the way, but I couldn't let you know I was hanging around before I found out more about you, and whether you were safe to approach..." His words trailed off as he eyed the mountain of empty blood bags at my feet.

Heat rushed to my cheeks and I scoffed, hiding my embarrassment. "Well, as you can see, I'm not. So if I were you, I'd back off," I warned.

Kai narrowed his eyes challengingly at me, and made another move towards me. I stiffened, fists curling at my sides.

"I said back off!" I snarled. I was still in hunger-mode and I could hear the blood pumping through his veins. Strangely, his heart was beating at a normal pace. No fear. I couldn't tell if that made him brave or just plain stupid.

He grinned, still advancing towards me. "But you're the first person I've seen in decades, and I'm the first person you've seen in, what? 12 hours? Shouldn't that automatically make us friends or something?"

Stupid, I decided.

Kai was only a few inches from me now, and intimidatingly close. Backed up against the refrigerator, I had no escape from his blue gaze, pinning me in place. And he was tall. God, was he tall.

I gulped.

Snap out of it, Mikaela. He's just some human guy that was probably the class clown back when he was in high school - which wasn't that long ago, by the look of his youthful features. You are one of Klaus' Hybrids. He is no match for you.

Before I had a chance to plan an escape, Kai's hand lunged towards me and a searing pain shot through my abdomen.

I cried out, gasping at the unexpected knife in my gut. His eyes, previously light and teasing, now flashed with dark excitement and greed, lapping up the feeling of power he thought he had over me. He raised his eyebrows at me as if to say, 'try something, I dare you.'

Oh, baby boy. You have no idea who you're playing with.

Rage shook through me and a carnal growl escaped from my throat. Bones started breaking all over my body in a speed I didn't realise I was capable of. I screamed out in unimaginable pain, the transformation taking over before I could stop it.