Chapter 44 ~ The Newbie

Mikaela's POV

Mikaela's POV

I stepped into the Lockwood Mansion feeling like a new woman - and more excited to see my family than ever before. "Hello?" I called into the gigantic house, Kai close behind me. "Mom? Ty?"

My mom appeared from the lounge instantly, hurrying towards us. "Oh, thank God!" she cried the moment she saw us, before wrapping her arms around me in a tight embrace. "You're home!"

I chuckled against her shoulder, hugging her back. "I'm home," I replied softly, unable to stop the grin spreading across my lips.

"And you're okay?" Mom wondered as she pulled away, frantically searching my features for any sign of damage or trauma. "You're safe?"

I nodded, smile never faltering. "Of course."

"Did you break it?" she whispered, face filled with a mixture of hope and concern.

"I did."

My mom all but shrieked with excitement. "I'm so proud of you! I knew you could do it!"

I giggled, her proud expression and words of praise meaning more to me than she probably realised. "Thank you."

Suddenly, a new voice joined the conversation. "You're home earlier than I was expecting," Tyler commented, strolling down the staircase to meet us. He looked different to when I last saw him; a small amount of facial hair now covering his chin; exhausted, bloodshot rings circling his usually warm brown irises.

I snorted sarcastically. "Nice to see you too."

"You know I'm glad you're back," he replied, rolling his eyes but fighting off a smile. He looked dazed, unfocused. Suddenly, all became clear.

Pretending not to notice his intoxicated state, I continued as if nothing had changed. "We had to leave early hours of this morning. Kai was really sick so we went to see Jo before coming here," I explained.

My mom's blue eyes widened. "Sick?" she gasped, placing the back of her palm on Kai's forehead as if to check his temperature. He blinked, gulping audibly, watching my mother's actions like a hawk.

"Yeah," I murmured, still not completely over the terrifying drama of this morning. "His body started rejecting Luke's magic and, well," I paused, struggling to get my words out, "he almost died."

Mom clutched her chest in shock. "What?" she breathed.

"Really?" Tyler wondered, brows pulled together. If I wasn't mistaken, he actually looked, well, concerned for Kai's safety.

I nodded rapidly, flashing my family members a smile to ease the tension in the air. "Yeah, but he's okay now." I glanced up at Kai for support. He still appeared to be a little taken back by my mother's boldness. "Right?"

Kai beamed, the dimples in his cheeks prominent. "Peachy."

"Well, that's a relief at least," Mom sighed.