Chapter 37 ~ The Merge

Kai's POV

Kai's POV

"Mikaela!" I gasped as she fell to the side, reaching out instinctively to catch her. Too slow, she collapsed against the sofa.

"Mickie!" I called, shaking her gently. "Hey, wake up!" I tried again, giving her a few soft taps on her cheek to try and stir some sort of reaction out of her.

Nothing.

"Shit," I breathed. Leaning my ear towards her mouth and placing my hand on her chest, I heard her shallow breaths, her heart still beating - but faltering every so often.

Oh God.

Oh God, oh God, oh God.

Okay, what do I do? What do I do?

Jumping to my feet, I searched for Mikaela's phone - mine no longer working after getting broken and covered in blood. Checking in the shredded material of what was once her dress, I was relieved to find her cell-phone in the pocket.

Why would a dress need a pocket?

Scrolling through the contacts, I clicked on the first person that came to mind - the one who would know exactly what to do, no matter the consequences.

It rang only a few times before Damon's bored voice answered. "Look, if you're calling to tell me about more loverboy drama I don't want to hear ab-"

"It's Kai," I said simply, cutting him off.

"Oh. Weasel," he replied in shock. "Why are you calling from Kayla's phone? And why isn't she the one talking to me right now?"

Glancing over to where she lay on the couch, I gulped. "She's kind of, well, unconscious..."

"Unconscious sleeping or unconscious dead?" Damon sighed in frustration. Clearly I was being too vague.

I shrugged, as if he could see it. "Somewhere inbetween."

"What the hell happened?" he snapped.

"I don't know!" I cried. "She was fine one minute and then just passed out the next. She won't wake up."

There was silence for a moment before his stern voice came through the speaker. "Send me the address. I'll be there in ten minutes."

"Okay," I replied, still a little dazed. For once, I didn't have a clue what to do in an emergency. For once, I wasn't prepared. "Yeah. Thanks."

Ending the call, I texted him the address of my apartment then placed her phone in my pocket - I'd probably end up having to use it - and scanned the room, feeling the urgent need to do something. Where to start?

Okay, clothes, I thought to myself. Yes. Let's get rid of those. Picking the dress and underwear up quickly, I hurried over to the kitchen to throw them in the trash.