Chapter 57 ~ The Distraction

(Sorry to anyone who had spoilers when I accidentally published this chapter before it was ready😭)

TW: 18+ only! This chapter contains explicit content, violence, gore and graphic details that may be upsetting to some readers. If this makes you uncomfortable, please skip this chapter!!

Mikaela's POV

"Are you sure you're alright with me going to Portland again?" Kai asked a week later as he pottered around the apartment, packing his things.

"Yeah, of course!" I replied easily, forcing a smile from where I watched him on the sofa. However, the thought of being away from him again was almost too painful to bear. I sighed. "Although, I really miss you when you aren't here."

He straightened up, glancing over at me. "Why don't you-"

"What?" I asked, sitting up straighter, filled with excitement

Kai frowned, shaking his head. "No, never mind. It's too risky."

"What is?"

He shrugged. "Well, I was going to ask if you wanted to come with me this time. But it's dangerous."

"More dangerous than us being separated?" I wondered. This was the first time he'd ever offered me to join him. I wasn't about to let him change his mind now.

"People want you dead in Portland, Mickie," he said, almost sternly. "What if something happens to you because of my stupid decision?"

I tutted, getting to my feet. "People want me dead everywhere, Kai. My list of enemies is growing longer by the day. If anything, it's safer for us to stay together, to protect each other."

He took a step back. "I don't know about this..."

"Oh, come on! It'll be fun!" I cheered, approaching him. "And I'd love to meet Max!"

Kai nibbled his lower lip. "He's been asking to meet you too."

"He has?" I gasped. I hadn't been expecting that.

"Yeah," Kai said, chuckling nervously. "Apparently, you're all I ever talk about."

I smirked. "I'm flattered." I was right in front of him now. "Come on..."

His shoulders sank in defeat as he let out a groan of frustration. "Fine, you can come. But what about Daisy?"

"It's the weekend, I'll ask my brother or one of the other guys to have her," I assured him. "It's only for the next 24 hours, then we'll be home."

Kai merely nodded in response, returning to his task of packing. I pulled out my phone, sending a text to my brother.

"Can you have Daisy until tomorrow, please? I'm going with Kai to Portland."