Chapter 69 ~ The Trail

Author's Note: Another long chapter, enjoy! Also, thank you so much for 100K reads! I love you all more than I can explain!😭🤍

Also, thank you so much for 100K reads! I love you all more than I can explain!😭🤍

Mikaela's POV

As I unlocked my front door, I called a number in particular, holding my phone between my ear and my shoulder. Thankfully, they answered after only a few rings.

"Oh, hello," a deep, cheery voice spoke. "Look who made it out of Torture Time at the Boarding House."

In my weak state, I stumbled through the threshold of the Lockwood Mansion before shoving the door shut behind me. "Tell me where you are so I can kick your ass!"

There was a short, sarcastic laugh. "And why would I do that?"

"Because," I began, clambering up the stairs to my bedroom, "I spent hours running through the woods as a wolf, bleeding out. I had to eat my way through two deer, three campers and a fluffy bunny rabbit just to gain enough strength to turn back into my normal self."

Using one hand, I tugged the disgusting cotton T-shirt that I was wearing over my head, attempting not to vomit at the sight of the dark spills on the chest, the yellow stains under the armpits. "I had to steal clothes from one of the men I killed and his shirt smells like sweat and root beer." I launched it to the side of the room, scrunching my face in disgust.

"Then I had to break into Kai's apartment and fight off a busboy to get my phone back." Crouching down, I grabbed a backpack from under my bed before placing it on the mattress. "I have just spent the last fifteen minutes in a cab on the way back to my house plucking fur out of my teeth before killing the driver because I had no money."

Rummaging through my closet, I snatched the first load of clothes I could find and threw them into my bag. "The least you could do is give me a clue as to where your psycho ass is."

"Woah, you sound kinda emotional," Stefan teased. "Are you sure you're feeling okay? Maybe you should lay down or something and take a day off."

Yanking the phone away from my ear, I put it on speaker and tossed it onto the bed in frustration. "I'm not emotional, I'm vengeful!"

"Well, in that case, I'm currently sitting on a beach in The Bahamas sipping on some sort of fruity cocktail." Stefan smacked his lips together over-dramatically. "Mm, and it is delicious." He chuckled to himself.

As I continued grabbing essentials to take with me, attempting to ignore the way my stomach was doing somersaults, I made a noise of disgust in the back of my throat at his infuriating lack of cooperation. "You're a dick."

He hummed softly. "I tell you what. I'll leave you some clues of my whereabouts in the news and you can have some fun tracking me down, how does that sound?"