Chapter 27 ~ The Winter Party

"Oh my gosh, I love that dress!"

The petite blonde stopped in her tracks to look at me, the rest of her friendship group pausing with her. "What?" Suddenly, realisation washed over her features in an instant as she smiled. "Oh, thank you so much!"

I grinned. "It's so pretty! Where did you get it?"

"A store in town. It wasn't very expensive either!" she enthused, grabbing hold of the fabric at the hem of the skirt and showing it off.

I gasped, putting on my girliest voice. "Oh my God!" I sighed, tone switching to one of disappointment. "I have a party later today and I'm struggling to find one that I think will look nice."

"Lily? Are you coming?" the guy next to her asked as the rest of the group started to continue with their journey, most of them fairly drunk. He eyed me suspiciously.

Lily dismissed him with one hand, too interested in me to worry about any kind of danger. "No, go ahead. I'll catch up with you, okay?"

He frowned at Lily, who I assumed was his girlfriend. "Are you sure?..."

Lily grinned. "Positive! This poor girl needs my assistance."

I returned the smile. "Really? Wow, you're a life-saver!"

"It's my pleasure," she replied, voice incredibly friendly.

It only took another minute before her friends disappeared completely out of sight around a corner.

"You're really pretty..." I began flirtatiously, twirling a strand of her glossy hair before flipping it over her shoulder, all to get a better view of her pale neck.

She blushed slightly. "Oh, thank you. So are you."

The corners of my lips picked up before glancing down at her feet. "Thank you. And those shoes are to die for."

"You're so nice!"

I laughed softly, taking a step closer to her. Clearly having no fear of me, Lily didn't move away. A silly mistake, as a moment later I grabbed her by the shoulders. "Stay very still," I murmured, looking deeply into her green eyes. "Don't scream. This will all be over soon."

Having no choice but to comply, she went slack, giving me the perfect opportunity to lunge for the pulsing vein in her throat that I hadn't been able to take my eyes off of.

"Please don't kill me!" she whispered desperately. "I'm pregnant!"

Only millimetres away from breaking her skin with my teeth, I snapped out of my trance immediately, words shocking me as if she'd thrown a bucket of ice water over my head, the wind being knocked out of my chest.

I pulled back to stare at her. "What? But you're so young?"

Lily shrugged. "I know, but I feel like maybe it was supposed to happen." She clutched her stomach protectively. She definitely wasn't showing just yet. "I really want this baby. I want to be a mom. Please don't hurt me."