Chapter 18 ~ The Lies

Kai's POV

Kai's POV

I drove for hours until the gas was nearly on the red. The roads were icy but I didn't care. Maybe a car crash would take my mind off everything for a little while. Hell, maybe I'd even be lucky enough to have the memories knocked out of me too. At least that way it would stop the pain of knowing everything that went down in the Prison World, whilst the other person was oblivious.

Back at my hotel room, I slammed the door shut, locking it from the inside before storming over to the bottle of whiskey sitting on the nightstand and pouring myself a glass. My fingers shook as I knocked the golden liquid back, swallowing thickly as it burned my throat. It was a good burn. It took my mind off the emotional pain for a brief moment.

Brief moment over, I lost my temper, hurling the glass at the wall with a roar, panting as I watched the tiny broken pieces fall to the ground.

I thought I could move on from it. That this was the fresh start both Mikaela and I needed. I could focus on my plan without having a weakness to worry about. Mikaela could get on with her life without caring for a sociopath.

But I couldn't. Especially not now, not when I knew there was still hope. She had remembered something, even if it was only my name. Surely that meant there was a way for her to remember it all?

She had recognised my face - sure, she didn't know where from, but still - in a crowd of dozens of other people. That couldn't just be a coincidence, right?

And her friend, that blonde - Claire or something, wasn't it? - had been listening to our whole interaction. She definitely knew more than she let on. Something was going on, something they were all keeping from me. Mikaela hadn't randomly woken up with her whole time in the Prison World suddenly missing from her memory. It seemed pretty ironic how she could only remember up until the day before she met me, huh?

I didn't know what was going on, but I was going to find out. It was starting to become clearer that it wasn't my fault she hadn't woken up when I'd tried to reverse the sleeping spell. And I had a pretty good idea who was behind all of this.

The best way to get my revenge, other than killing them - that would come later, don't worry about that - was to put a spanner in their plans. I was going to do everything in my power to bring Mikaela's memories back. Having her on my side would really help in taking down my father and becoming coven leader.

I paced around the room, mentally ticking off every possible way I could kickstart Mikaela's memory. Telling her just wouldn't do the job, she wasn't the kind of person to believe something without seeing proof. It had to be something impactful, something that she'd have no choice but to believe.

As I thought about this, my gaze stopped on her backpack in the corner of the room that I still had possession of. I'd forgotten all about it as I'd fled from the scene after we'd got back from the Prison World, running off with it still over my shoulder. Surely something in there could help bring her memories back.