Chapter 68 ~ The Switch (Part One)

(Please ignore terrible gif quality😭)

Author's Note: This chapter was very long so I've had to split it into two parts. The second will be released soon.

Kai's POV

"Kai..." a gentle voice coaxed me awake a few hours later, accompanied by a light tapping on my shoulder. "Wake up..."

My eyes fluttered open as I let out a soft groan. "Hm? What's the matter?"

Mikaela's pouting face stared down at me. "I'm hungry."

I frowned at her in confusion, her words taking a moment to register with me. "Oh..." I murmured. "Do you..." I gulped, sitting up. "Do you want to feed on me?"

To my relief, she shook her head. "No, not you," she assured with a smile. "But I need to go out so I can get it fresh from the vein, I don't touch blood bags anymore." She tilted her head. "Can you come with me?"

Glancing over my shoulder at the alarm clock on the nightstand, I raised a brow. "At four in the morning?"

"It's when all the worst people are sneaking around," Mikaela explained. "Let's call it happy hour."

I snorted. "Why not just grab a random person off the street?"

She rolled her eyes. "Because I'm trying to make things easier for you. I think it's something known as a 'compromise'?"

My heart swelled at her words. I had to give her credit for attempting to make this work for us, even with her emotions shut off. "I appreciate that."

Mikaela winked before climbing off the mattress. "I'm gonna have a quick shower then we'll leave." She headed towards the bathroom, before pausing at the door to smirk at me. "Are you joining?"

Breath hitching in my throat, I nodded slowly. "Of course," I replied easily. "Just give me a few minutes to wake up properly and I'll be in."

She giggled. "Don't be too long, the water won't stay hot forever."

"I'm sure there are plenty of other ways we can warm up," I teased with a grin.

That seemed to pacify her. Humming in approval, she disappeared into the bathroom to turn on the shower, shutting the door behind her.

As quietly as possible, I got off the bed and tip-toed over to where my jeans were crumpled in a heap, hoping the sound of the falling water would stop Mikaela from overhearing. Grabbing my phone out of the pocket, I checked my notifications.