Chapter 31

"I'll never tell!" the maid snarled, lunging forward with air ability claws extended. In a swift motion, Leo pulled Mila back, shielding her just as Duke Reynard drew his sword and slashed through the maid's hand.

"Aaaahhhhh!!!!" The maid's scream echoed through the grand hall, drawing the attention of everyone present. The sight of blood and the realization that this woman was not a true maid of the Mireraweth palace but an intruder sent a wave of panic through the guests. Women screamed in fear, recoiling at the grisly scene before them.

"Arrest her!" Duke Reynard commanded, his voice sharp and authoritative. The palace guards quickly moved in, restraining the intruder as she writhed in pain. Turning his attention to Mila, Duke Reynard knelt beside her, concern etched on his face. "Are you alright?" he asked, searching her eyes for any sign of fear.

Mila nodded, her expression calm despite the chaos around her. "I'm fine, Father," she reassured him with a small smile. The blood and violence hadn't shaken her; she remained composed, a trait Duke Reynard couldn't help but admire.

Rising to his full height, Duke Reynard surveyed the ballroom. The atmosphere had shifted, the earlier joy and celebration replaced by tension and unease. "Your Majesty," he addressed the emperor, "I believe this ball has come to an end. It would be wise to send our families home while we hold a meeting to address this matter."

The emperor nodded solemnly, understanding the gravity of the situation. An assassination attempt on a member of the royal family, especially during a public event, was not something to be taken lightly. If Mila had been killed, it could have sparked a disaster, threatening the stability of the kingdom.

As the guests were escorted out of the palace, whispers filled the air, speculation and fear mingling in their hurried conversations. Duke Reynard remained by Mila's side, his protective instincts heightened. He knew that this incident was only the beginning of something much larger, and he was determined to uncover the truth behind it.

The emperor dismissed everyone, his voice commanding as the nobles and their families began to leave the palace. Mila was taken back to the Noble mansion by Leo, the carriage ride filled with a tense silence. Duke Reynard, however, remained behind, joining the emperor and the other noblemen for an urgent meeting.

Once the room was secured, the emperor turned to the knights who had been tasked with interrogating the captured intruder. "Have you all interrogated her?" he asked, his tone sharp and demanding.

"Your Majesty, she committed suicide to avoid giving us any answers," one of the knights reported, his voice filled with the weight of failure. The tension in the room thickened; they all knew the consequences of failing to extract crucial information.

Before anyone could suggest the next course of action, an arrow suddenly flew through the air, embedding itself in the wall just inches from the emperor's head. The room fell silent, every eye on the arrow. The emperor, unfazed, calmly reached up and pulled the arrow from the wall, noticing the note tied to it.

As he unrolled the letter, his expression shifted from calm to shock. His eyes scanned the words, his face betraying a rare moment of vulnerability. "Your Majesty? What's the matter?" Duke Reynard asked, stepping forward, his mind already racing with possible scenarios.

The emperor didn't respond immediately, his gaze fixed on the words before him. Finally, he spoke, his voice carrying the weight of a grim realization. "We must prepare for the next war," he announced, his eyes meeting those of the noblemen around him. Confusion and concern filled the room as the nobles exchanged glances, unsure of what had just transpired.

Duke Reynard, sensing the urgency, stepped closer to the emperor, his gaze falling on the discarded letter now lying on the floor. He bent down to pick it up, reading the ominous message: