Chapter 9

Duke Reynard had always known that the chances of Mila possessing an ability or elemental power were slim. As he watched the crystal remain unchanged, he gently placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "It's okay, Mila," he said softly, his voice filled with warmth. "In a way, I'm relieved. This means you won't have to be too deeply involved in the dangers of the world." He knew that life as a member of a noble family made her a target, but without abilities, she might be spared some of the more perilous responsibilities.

"When you're older, I'll have you start taking lessons," Duke Reynard continued, his tone gentle yet firm. He wanted to protect Mila from the harsh realities of their world, especially the bloodshed that often came with political and military affairs. He didn't want her hands tainted by violence.

The thought of her eventual marriage to the heir of Zameth weighed heavily on his mind, but for now, she was still young. There was a time before those burdens would be placed on her shoulders. Mila, sensing his concern, looked up at him with wide, questioning eyes.

"Father, are you not upset with me?" she asked, noticing the troubled look that lingered on his face.

Duke Reynard quickly shook his head, offering her a reassuring smile. "I'm not upset with you, Mila," he assured her. "You weren't born with an ability, but that's not something you can control, and it's certainly not something I would blame you for. These things happen, so please don't worry about it."

He could see the worry in her eyes and wanted to ease her burden. "Come on, let's go," he said, taking her small hand in his as they left the hidden room.

As they returned to his office, they found Leo waiting patiently. His expression was serious, and it was clear he had something on his mind. "Father, I wish to speak with you alone," Leo said, his tone reflecting the gravity of whatever was troubling him.

Before Duke Reynard could respond, Mila ran up to Leo and hugged him tightly. "Leo!" she exclaimed with a smile, always happy to see her brother.

But Leo's demeanor didn't change. "Sorry, Mila," he said gently, but his voice carried a note of urgency. "I need to speak with Father right now." His serious expression worried Mila, though she could tell he wasn't upset with her.

"I'll see you later, okay?" Leo added, trying to reassure her.

"Okay!" Mila replied, though her curiosity was piqued. She left the room, deciding to head to the garden to see if the Crested Eye Quetzal was there.

As she ran to the garden, her mind lingered on Leo's serious tone. 'I wonder why Leo is so upset,' she thought, her small brow furrowing in concern. But as soon as she reached the garden and saw the familiar bird perched on a branch, her worries momentarily faded.

"You're back!" Mila exclaimed with a bright smile, reaching out to pet the little bird. The Quetzal chirped happily in response, seeming to enjoy her attention.

As Mila continued to stroke its feathers, she noticed something tied to its leg—a small letter. Her curiosity piqued, she gently untied the letter and, deciding that the garden was too open for reading, hurried back to her room with the bird following close behind.

Once inside, she carefully opened the letter. To her surprise, the letter revealed that the bird, whom she had grown fond of, had an owner or a master.

The letter read: 'My fellow friend here tells me you've been feeding him and spending time with him. Thank you for being so kind to him. His name is Jero.'

Mila's eyes widened with surprise and curiosity. She hadn't expected the bird to have such a connection, and now, she found herself even more intrigued by this mysterious new discovery.