Chapter 64

Mila grumbled, feeling the weight of sleepiness tugging at her. She snuggled deeper into the warmth of her bed, savoring the comforting embrace of the bedsheets. They had found a tavern to stay in once again, deciding it was the best option available, as there were no other suitable places nearby. The group had secured a room with two beds, where Emmett and Tim slept on the floor while the girls occupied the beds. But Mila didn't care about the luxury or lack thereof—she just needed a place to rest alongside her friends and family.

Despite the comfort, a lingering worry gnawed at her. There were still no signs of Kate. She couldn't even sense a trace of her. 'How long will it take to find her? It's been almost two weeks, and still no sign,' Mila thought, feeling a sense of frustration mixed with concern. Cotton and Net snuggled closer to her in the bed they shared, their presence offering some comfort. 'Whatever, let's just sleep a little more,' she decided, letting herself drift back into sleep with her two little companions by her side.

As the morning light slowly crept into the room, the others began to stir, but they noticed that their young lady was still sound asleep. The parade the night before had lasted for hours, and the sun had barely risen. "Let her sleep a little more," Emmett whispered to the group, understanding how tired Mila must have been after days of searching. With quiet steps, they left the room, allowing her to rest undisturbed.

In her sleep, Mila found herself once again in the familiar space of her unconscious mind, a place where she often met with her beasts.

'Mila, it's been a while,' Vivian's gentle voice greeted her as the unicorn appeared beside her, nuzzling her nose against Mila's cheek affectionately. 'Let's go,' Vivian said, leading Mila forward into a place where the wind brushed against them, a soothing yet powerful presence.

'Mila, we finally meet this way,' Skye's voice echoed, and Mila looked up to see the majestic form of Skye before her, no longer an egg but fully emerged as a Blade Feathered Griffin. Skye's immense figure was both awe-inspiring and familiar, with her body adorned with sharp, bladed feathers that gleamed in the light.

"Skye!" Mila exclaimed, feeling a rush of emotions as Skye walked toward her. The griffin nuzzled her beak gently against Mila, and she couldn't help but feel as though a part of her was being restored. "I feel like I'm almost whole again," Mila whispered, the sensation of completeness washing over her.

'The same here. We've been waiting so long for you,' Skye responded, her voice filled with warmth and relief.

'Now, we're just waiting for Kate to respond to us in some way,' Vivian added. Kate was the last piece of their puzzle, the final companion they needed to complete their long journey. Mila could feel the weight of her father's and brother's worries, knowing they were anxious for her safe return every single day.

The three of them stood together, exchanging silent looks of understanding. Mila knew they needed to find some clue, some sign, that would lead them to Kate's location. "What is Kate usually like? Where does she like to go?" Mila asked, determined to piece together any bit of information that might help them find her, no matter how small.

'She would likely be somewhere cold. She is an ice element, so she would need a cold place to stay,' Vivian suggested, her voice thoughtful. She had a good sense of Kate's preferences, understanding that the icy environment would be where Kate felt most at home. Although Vivian's guesses were not always accurate—being the youngest and often indulging in childish whims—her connection to Kate was different. Kate's wisdom and openness had drawn Vivian to her more than any of the others.

"Somewhere cold?" Mila echoed, deep in thought. The only place that came to mind was the Frozen Forest, a place rarely mentioned or visited due to its frigid temperatures. "I can only think of one place here that would suit her."