45. Compromise

Liu

Once we got through the fog and back to the inn I slid my key card through one of the side entrances, allowing Jane to walk in ahead of me before we reached our room down the hall. I was sure we were both mildly concussed but as we sat down we began to ease, glancing to the window every now and again just to make sure no one had followed us back. Jane's quiet hums as she bandaged the knife wound on her thigh though distracted me and I roped myself back down to earth to see if she needed any help.

"Yeah actually, can you make sure there's no gashes on the back of my head? I can't feel jack shit right now but I know I hit the wall pretty hard."

"No problem," I said, climbing onto the bed behind her while she sat patiently and let me look through her hair. No scrapes or cuts, hardly even a bruise; her hair was so soft, I thought to myself with a small smile, wondering how it stayed this nice, "you're all good back here. Is your head feeling okay?"

"Oh I've already healed it," she waved her hand dismissively with a sigh, "didn't you get hit though?"

She turned from her spot while I nodded, the taste of blood still semi-apparent before she pressed her fingers to my throbbing temples. Jane's eyes closed momentarily and I leaned into the touch, a soothing sense of comfort washing over me just before she pulled her hands away. I still had a headache but the concussion was at least gone, if not dissipated enough to not be an issue.

"Man that kid got you good," she whistled quietly, "who was that anyway? I didn't even know Kitty had a cousin, let alone one that fucking unstable."

"Nina was still a good kid last time I saw her, serial killer fan-girl who took it a little too far. Last month down in Arizona there were two kids killed before she killed her own family, I don't know if she did it to herself or not but she looks too much like him now."

"Now I remember. I'd never have recognized her from the amber alert," Jane sighed, "every day they pull more and more people into this bullshit..."

"Those were my exact sentiments about Jeff," I snorted in disgust, "I don't get why Ann never understood but that's not my problem anymore." Just at the mention of her name I was reminded of the kiss back at that building, the restless doubts that it chased away and my fingers twitched in my lap as I glanced back at Jane from my wonderings. "You...get it, though. You've been chasing him down a lot longer than I have. You deserve a break."

"We'll both get our breaks once we can finally kill the bastard and his little psycho squad too," she snorted, belting into laughter that pulled on my lips, "I tell you though, it's been a while since I've had this much fun. I'm not those crazies, I don't like killing, I just do what I have to do but it's been nice to not have to do it alone."

"It's funny because the only way I thought I could get this done was if I was alone. I don't mind being proved wrong."

She cracked a smile and this time I made the move, reaching out and cupping her face in my hand before I kissed her. Her lips were just as soft as before, eager for more and hungry for it as she gripped my coat in her hands and held me there. Fireworks continued to go off outside and illuminated the room with splashes of color while Jane pushed me back onto the bed and unwound my scarf, her touch trailing down my neck and crossing all the scars from my brother before I had enough. My skin burned while I shrugged my coat off and tossed my shirt aside, hands itching to feel the smooth porcelain of her pale skin before I delved beneath her shirt, her fingers tracing the lines on my chest, things I knew she couldn't pity me for as she was just as damaged as I was.

Jane let me tug the black fabric from her chest before I reached for the button of her jeans, her black-lined smile full of devilish mischief while I stripped her of the dark swathes of clothing and revealed beautiful pale skin, full of warmth. Even though I knew she couldn't feel it I still ran my hands along every inch of her, kissing the space between her breasts while I reached back and unhooked the last item of clothing standing in my way. Those strange voices in my head, the static, it all paled and fell away as Jane settled herself on my hips and all I could think about was the way her eyes reflected the pure bliss in mine. She truly was a succubus, this woman was everything I didn't know I'd ever wanted. I moved to change positions but she moved quicker, pinning my hands above my head before I gave her a look of surprise.