43. For Nina

Jeff

I walked down the staircase and beelined straight for Chelsea, nodding up to Nina's room and passing a quick word or two before she trotted up the steps and left me to march toward the front door, slipping out into the cold seemingly unnoticed before I closed it behind me.

"You'll have a hard time finding them on your own."

I snapped to the side and found Pierce leaning against the garage door, arms crossed over his chest and a dark gleam in his already dark eyes. I paused for a moment and nodded, watching as he grabbed for his longboard and tossed me the other one. The only reason I could tell it was Nina's was by the purple wheels and while it had been a long, long time since I'd used one of these, it didn't take me long to readjust.

"I take it she told you everything," he started again, breaking the tense silence around himself.

"Just about," I admitted, "think they'll be at home?"

"Considering no one's going to believe them that a mutant animal attacked Ian and Dan will never admit a girl got the upper hand on him, yeah— your brother hits like a bitch, by the way."

A smile pulled on my face as we became enveloped by smoke, the fireworks still exploding high in the night sky. No one would be able to see my face with all this cover but my eyes were definitely suffering, the burn making them water and suddenly I realized how much I regretted peeling off my own eyelids. Fuckin' idiot Jeff. Pierce rounded a corner and led us away from downtown, a house looming on the horizon with all the lights off but one. He hid his board in the bushes and I did the same, following his lead as he walked around to the windows and began going through the usual steps without me even having to explain them. Nina must've been teaching him our ways and as he found an unlocked window I helped boost him up into it before I pulled myself inside.

I heard the click of a knife as Pierce took the lead, scanning to make sure no one else was awake in the house before we took to the stairs, walking with soft footsteps until we reached the only door with the light on. I could hear someone moving inside, talking on the phone as Pierce and I took either side to listen. Whichever one this was he sounded like a pussy, blabbering on and on to someone about how scary the little girl in the skirt was.

"It was just Dan at another one of his schemes again, you know? Scare the girl, scare Pierce and his friends, but then he fucking cut her and I froze," he stammered, my interest piqued, "I never, ever, ever thought he'd do something like...like that...I feel so fucking horrible dude. After that guy chased us down for fucking with her last time I think he took it way too far." The boy paused as the other person presumably spoke. "Yeah, I don't think I'm going to hang out with him anymore. Not to mention once she did break free she went fucking crazy. I don't know, I feel like I should go to the cops and tell them about what he did. I get that she said some nasty shit but you don't do what he did."

"At least someone understands manners," I whispered, "want to kill this one or just teach him a lesson?"

"He's not a bad guy when he's not with Dan," Pierce muttered back, "let's scare the shit out of him and get the real bad guy."

"Works for me."

I backed up, raising my foot with a wicked grin on my face before I kicked the door in. The boy that had been talking on the phone stood in the middle of his room, having just ended the call when he locked eyes with me. His face had been slashed and I watched as all the color drained from his skin but before he could move I grabbed ahold of his throat, slamming him against the wall while he panicked and held my knife to his chest. If he even tried to take a deep enough breath to scream it would sink directly into his heart.