46. Suspicious activity

Nina

It was probably afternoon when everyone awoke finally, my own groggy eyes focusing as I sat up from the futon and took a look around. Ann had gone back to my room and Tanis and Vlad were trying to rouse themselves while Pierce snored behind me. We'd dropped the back and we had our own space but it still made my cheeks burn knowing we basically slept beside each other. I shook him gently and he woke with a start before laughing and rubbing at the back of his head. Voices echoed down the hall so I assumed at least someone else was awake.

"Tanny, Dracula, wakey wakey," I said gently as I patted both of their heads and they sat up with difficulty before Vlad ran straight to the bathroom to puke. I just rolled my eyes and Tanis waved a hand like he'd be just fine.

"We still going to the skate park?" Tanis asked.

"We told Kate we'd go, you and Vlad need to get home eventually too," I chuckled, "we can drive to his place and drop the car off before we skate over. Safer that way anyway."

"Agreed," Pierce said through his yawn, "I'm fuckin' hungry though."

"I'll give Kitty the puppy eyes and have her cook something," I said wistfully as I walked out the door, my cousin's laughter echoing all the way up here while I approached the staircase. Tanis and Pierce weren't far behind me and I held back a grin when I saw Jeff in the kitchen, shirtless with his hair tied back and I couldn't help myself as I jumped right at him.

"There's the mini-monster!" His laugh boomed, swinging me around until he set me back on my feet, "I know, you've got to get used to seeing my ugly mug in the morning now."

"Are you kidding?! I've been looking forward to it." I grinned, spying my cousin and Jules at the table along with Kate. She looked hungover to hell and back but happy to be somewhere other than the place they'd been staying.

"I was wondering when you'd finally wake up," Ann teased as she pulled her mug from the coffee maker, "where's the tall one?"

"Yakking up his dinner," Tanis snorted, taking a closer look at Jeff's tattoos with narrowed eyes, "who's Snow?"

"That'd be Queen of the psychos," he pointed to Kitty and she gave him a prideful grin, "we used to make little jokes about how if she got my name tattooed on her ass she could consider me a married man—"

"I still like to think that little J stands for Juliette," the redhead quipped snidely, a playful note in her tone while we all snickered.

"You actually went and did it?" Kate snorted over her mug while Kitty's cheeks flared and she nodded, glaring up at the man while he kissed her temple.

"I liked to piss Liu off while I was on the run so getting his brother's initial was just the start." She winked before reaching for my phone. "Speaking of— Tim and Brian should be handling that right about now."

"Can I kill Jane?" I asked with a pout, "I want to see the look on her face when Jeff's 'fan-girl' guts her."

"Not unless I get to her first," Kitty laughed darkly, "think you'll use a knife like he did to you?"

"Oh heavens no!" Ann's giggle chimed, "I'm going to tear him apart with something much more fun."

"You are absolutely terrifying and I love it," Tanis laughed as she sat beside the woman, "have you shown them the head thing?"

"The head thing?" Jeff arched an eyebrow while Kate sputtered into laughter.

"This is going to be good."

As Ann showed off her newfound capabilities as a corpse Pierce and I went about making coffee and while Kitty was busy gawking at the stump of Ann's neck I started on some breakfast. Vlad joined us eventually looking like a zombie and I took Kitty's seat next to Jeff when she got up to answer a phone call, leaning into his shoulder and enjoying the afternoon.