49. The end is nigh

Kitty

After a long, well deserved night of sleep I woke up sometime around noon, cradled in Jeff's tight grasp and just enjoying it while the gray January sun shone in over my head. It wasn't until my stomach squeezed with hunger that I finally rolled over and cupped Jeff's cheeks, kissing him until he pulled me closer and smothered me in his grip.

"Alright, alright, I get it I'm awake," he groaned playfully and pulled the sleeping mask off before giving me one big kiss that put a smile on my face, "you're a pain."

"I'm hungry," I corrected him, "and I couldn't get up without waking you."

"How considerate, come on, I'll make you something."

I gave him a big grin and he helped pull me from the sheets, my whole body heavy and hazy but all kinds of happy as I grabbed for my green hoodie and a pair of leggings so. Jules was up and moving while Kate and Ann lounged in the living room; Jeff was kind enough to cook, as promised, and I turned the TV on to see if we'd made the news yet. Local stories talked about 'unfortunate gang violence amongst teens' and I realized they were talking about the kid who'd had a problem with Nina and her friends when they discussed having a memorial for him at the school and the want to spit on his grave washed over me. I changed the channel and went to the national circuit before the grand reveal came and they announced the arrival of the Smiley-Face killer and his accomplices down in San Diego.

"We're back in action baby!" I cackled, wrapping my fingers around my mug just as I heard the sound of footsteps on the stairs. Of course they'd wake up when they smelled food, I thought to myself with a chuckle when I saw Nina round the corner wearing one of Pierce's hoodies with the boy not far behind her.

"What are you shouting about?" She asked, rubbing at her eye before she waved at Jules and Jeff.

"What's this?" I gasped teasingly, making her pause before her face flushed. "Nina in a boy's hoodie? Can it really be, did he finally find his balls?"

"I'm going to fucking smother you."

"The pigs went oinkin' and sniffed out our mess," Jeff snickered under his breath while he pointed to the TV, "which is good, means they think we're south."

"Ha! They had to pull mine out in pieces," Habit cackled as he took over and sat at the island, his elbows back on the counter with a triumphant smile on his face, "alright bozos, now that everyone's awake we need to talk game plans. We've got maybe four, five days max before stick-in-the-mud strikes again and we've got to figure out how to handle this."

"Can we at least eat first dammit?!" Nina groaned as she took a seat across from me.

"Stuff your face and listen, you're going to be a team captain," he said and Nina perked up while I arched an eyebrow.

"What teams are there?"

"There's going to be three. Team Habit will consist of yours truly, Cthulhu, Firebrand, Tweedle-Dee, Tweedle-Fun, and the Black Witch. We go straight for the kill, knock fuckstick down and keep him away from everyone else," he explained and even Ann and Kate tuned in from the living room, "Team Jeff has him, the living dead over there, you, the pyro pixie and my kid. You already know who you're going after."

"Aw, but I wanted to string that bitch up," Nina pouted before a more serious look crossed her face, "why do we need a third team?"

"You really think we're the only proxies the collector has?" He said almost ominously, "Team Nina has you, your boyfriend, twitchy bitch, and the chaser."

"Hey! That bitch ain't the same as me dickwad!" Kate shouted from the couch and Habit waved her off.

"You get the drift. Either way you pack enough punch to count as two so I'm confident leaving your team a couple short, unless your friends want to chime in of course. Chances are he'll only be able to round up two or three others on such short notice but it'll be enough to warrant a team to keep them distracted, plus he still has mama coyote and even if she's playin' nice, she's a brick fuckin' wall."