52. Let the battle begin

Kitty

"No matter what you don't open this door, understand?"

"Understood," my mother nodded bravely, my father's pistol in her hand as I wrapped my arms around her shoulders, "once this is done...everything will be okay, right?"

No. Not by a long shot, mama.

"Everything will be okay," I assured her, "I love you. We all love you."

She had a gleam in her eyes like she knew and she wrapped her arms around me, holding me tightly before Jeff did the same to her. Nina and Pierce took their turns before Thomas, Chelsea and Jules all squeezed her and lastly was Ann. She knew this was the last time she'd ever see her and she didn't cry but her face wasn't hard to read.

"Alright, we've still got a little while before the shitshow starts," I announced as I locked the door, "Kate and Toby's with the kids already at the school, Delilah's in place with Tim and Brian, Habit is Firebrand here or not?"

"He's here alright," Habit nodded, "in position and ready to rumble."

"Perfect," I sighed, Jeff's hand slipping into mine, "alright, let's get a move on."

Our little group stood out like a sore thumb but we walked past the houses and into the trees, heading somewhere I knew well; the old tracks came up eventually and I smiled to myself, spying the old, rotted out train station, just as pristine as ever as it hid in the back of Faucett Park. I'd never had so many people here with me before but it felt cathartic to be here where everything started before we were about to end it all.

"Hey look, this one's from me," Jeff snickered as he toed at a gouge in the flooring, "good times, good times. That scar still fucking itches."

"Yeah mine do too, you're not special," Thomas snickered, his face soft and filled with a smile, "this is where I forked Kitty's tongue before getting a good slash in on Jeff."

"You asshole," Chelsea laughed while I stuck my tongue out to tease him with, "well, if this is really it, what do you all say?"

She pulled a bottle of something dark from a portal, tossing everyone a shot glass and filling them up while we all laughed. Jeff didn't even bother with a glass and took the bottle from her instead, all of us passing cheeky grins and smiles as we clinked the glass together.

"Here's to the end of that stick-in-the-mud for good," I hummed, "and getting rid of all our problems in one fell fucking swoop— well, aside from the cops."

"Cheers!"

The whiskey went down rough and I cackled, grinning from ear to ear as I tossed the glass back and took a deep breath to let the fire fill my lungs. There was a tap on my shoulder not long after and I turned, spying Habit in his usual Gengar shirt and pristine white jeans with something in his hands I never thought I'd see again.

"You...had it this whole time?"

"What can I say, I liked the color," he said with a snicker as he handed over my polaroid camera before he shifted back to Jules, "one more for the road?"

Tears welled in my eyes but a devilish snicker filled my face, pulling my mask out and tying it tight before I whistled. All I had to do was hold up the device and they all laughed, crowding around me as they fumbled to pull their masks on and weapons out. Jules' bunny mask cropped up next to mine and so did Thomas' blue one, Chelsea, Nina and Ann all crowding in beneath us while Jeff and Pierce took the back. Thomas used a tentacle to snap the shot and as it came into view all I could see were smiles. All I could see was my family.

"What should we write on the back of this one?" Nina giggled, her fuzzy coat tickling my nose while she tucked under my arm.

"Not sure yet," I laughed, "I'm sure I'll come up with something witty."