12. Takeout

Nina

"Two days to Christmas mother fuckers!"

My holler echoed as I flew over the edge of the bowl, streetlights illuminating the skate park while the last few people lingered past dark. It wasn't actually that late but it was Friday night and everyone was out enjoying the lights they put up around town. Hell, even I was loving the little red twinkle in everyone's eyes.

When I came back up I slapped Vlad's hand before descending again, cackling to myself while I had as much fun as possible. They were on winter break for the next week and a half which meant we could hang out more, the thought of getting to spend New Years Eve lighting bottle rockets just like the Fourth bringing me an immense amount of joy. Kitty had already purchased some more illegal explosives and I was ready to play with fire.

"Someone's excited," Pierce laughed as I launched over the bowl again and caught my board mid-air before I landed.

"I can't wait to see what my cousin got me." I rubbed my hands together devilishly. "I think Tom got me something too, and Aunt Ginny."

"Who is Tom? I've heard you say his name before."

"He's also kinda like a brother to me. Him and my cousin are close friends so I saw him a lot when I came up here to visit."

"Oh, so he's not a boyfriend?" He teased and I loosed a harsh laugh.

"Nah, he's one ugly mother fucker— besides, he's way too old for me and Chelsea at the coffee shop has him wrapped around her pinky finger."

"That makes some more sense. Is he scary? I kinda remember you mumbling something when you chased that mugger off."

"Oh, that, he was stalking around Kitty's house when I was up here a couple summers ago in a mask trying to spook her and I caught him instead."

"Didn't some guy in a mask get caught killing people here a couple summers ago?" Tanis asked suddenly as she snapped to attention.

"Yeah, he thought it'd be funny to show up like that, guy's got a weird sense of humor. Speaking of the house though, do you guys want to come over? I got the okay from her and my Aunt."

"Uh, hell yeah." Tanis slapped my hand as Vlad joined us again. "Let me call my mom and I'll tell her. Would you care if I spent the night? She's usually not cool with me skating around at three in the morning."

"We've got plenty of room so you're all more than welcome to."

"I'll grab some clothes real quick, want to tell your mom you're with me Dracula?"

"Sure, grab me some pants," he called out to Pierce before he disappeared across the street to his apartment. Both him and Tanis jumped on the phone for just a few minutes before giving me a thumbs up.

When Pierce returned we set off toward town again, laughing and chatting before I made us detour to say hi to Chelsea. She was closing up shop when I ran inside, the three of them close on my heels while they all smiled at the girl.

"There's a whole horde of you now?!" She gasped, her teasing grin putting a smile on my face. "What'll it be pipsqueaks?"

"Red Bull, blue razz, we're heading back to Kitty's for the night," I told her as I slapped my card down, "you guys want anything?"

Vlad and Tanis both piped up and thanked me while Chelsea ran the card, leaving me to peer around outside until I saw Tom's gray jacket on the metal bench. Figured he'd be lurking. Once she finished and handed off the cups I waved my goodbye before bursting out the door, wrapping my arms around Tom's shoulders to spook him before flicking the last of the cigarette out of his fingers.