39. Dangerous game

Nina

"Fire in the hole!"

I ran away cackling with Vlad's lighter in hand before one of the artillery shells shot into the air, an explosion of red sending sparks flying over the school. Other kids had come here as well but eventually they'd all dispersed, leaving just the four of us as we drank stolen vodka and made an absolute mess.

"We should light off the big boy next," Tanis laughed, holding a massive box in her hands, "so we're all heading back to your house around midnight?"

"Yeah, Aunt Ginny got some party snacks and we'll be opening a dimensional portal to steal some people from a big dumb monster," I explained like it was no big deal, "you guys get to finally meet my brother!"

"I still can't believe you've got a whole horde of murderers living right here in Silver Cove," Vlad laughed, tipping the bottle back. Luckily we'd left the car at Kitty's and skated our way here so getting home would be a breeze.

"I was less concerned with the murderer part and more concerned with the 'Tom's a fucking demon' part." Tanis snorted, setting the box down before lighting it and taking off to the other side of the pavement. Everyone cheered as shot after shot went off, damn near rocking the ground.

"Tom wouldn't hurt a fly," Pierce grinned, just a little tipsier than the rest of us. Poor guy was a lightweight, "well, y'know, except for the mass murder spree."

Another firework went off and I saw something catch in the trees to the side, blue illuminating pale skin as the Rake clamored to the top. Immediately I pulled my knife out, everyone watching me while I shook it threateningly at the treetops and shouted.

"Don't think I don't see you up there!" It screeched back at me and I scoffed, "don't back sass me, go find Liu and Jane! Shoo!"

"What the fuck is that?!" Vlad gasped, his eyes wide as it climbed further up the tree.

"That's the asshole that threw Nina through my window," Pierce hiccuped, "that fucker was showing up in my room in the middle of the night and I had to call Nina to come get it, she fucking rolled all the way to the ground and still got back up."

"No shit, you really are badass," Tanis laughed loudly as she slapped my hand, "hear that loser?! Nina's cooler than you!"

It screeched again and I cackled, running back to grab another firework when I realized we weren't alone. To my unpleasant surprise it was neither Jeff nor his brother and accomplice, but Dan and Ian, looking pretty fuckin' smug while I scowled. Dammit, can't kill these ones.

"Well lookie here, you were right, it was them!" Ian cackled, catching everyone's attention.

"Oh can you fuck off," Pierce groaned with a sudden change of heart, "tonight is not the night for your shit!"

"Go home Dan! No one's in the mood," Tanis rolled her eyes, taking another drink from the bottle.

"No, I don't think we will," Dan said with a haughty laugh. "See, the little slut in the skirt here thinks she's queen of the fucking sandbox. You really thought it was cool to have your brother try to taunt me about killing my sister? There's lines you don't cross and that was one of them."

"Oh, that's right! You're Lisa's little brother!" I gasped with nothing but sarcasm, making him recoil. "Tom said you two ran away like little bitches, I thought it was hilarious." My eyes narrowed as I continued. "You know, I was there when they found her body in the river. You shouldn't fuck with what you don't want to know about. He said she screamed so hard the blood vessels burst in her eyes."

I realized I was drunk and letting my mouth run but the look on their faces was so worth it. That was, until Dan said something and Ian rushed me before I could move, my friends shouting at them to stop while Ian grabbed my arms and held them behind my back. Dan frisked me and found my knife pretty easily, knocking Vlad down when he tried to help and brandishing my blade like it was his own. Something in me snapped but not in the way I wanted it to. My heart slammed in my chest while I struggled, the scene around me changing; a dark house, a looming figure, two lackeys holding my defenseless body back. I could barely focus let alone find of a way out of this as I panicked.