19. Self medicate

Eyeless Jack

After the initial shock and surprise of seeing Toby on our team for once it turned out he was actually pretty cool to talk to. He was only 19 but he acted a bit older, something I'm sure he had to do after all the trauma of nearly dying. We'd all been there though so I could definitely understand.

"Let's swing by the apartment first, I want to swap clothes," Chelsea grumbled.

"No problem, I'll probably drop my jacket off," I laughed, "and the lava lamp."

"S-So what exactly was the story behind the lava lamp?" Toby asked as he leaned forward, eyes scanning the horizon while Chelsea turned.

"Okay, this is a little bit of a long one," I started, "Jeff, Kitty and I used to be like, mortal enemies. Well, Kitty and I were best friends, but then she started sleeping with Bleach Boy and broke my heart, all the while I didn't actually know 'Snow' was her. We went from being best friends to me wondering how the fuck she chose that ugly sumbitch over me to me losing my shit and trying to figure out a way to get her to hate him."

"Yeah I'd w-wonder that too," Toby snickered.

"I decided to try and kill Chelsea to pin it on Jeff but Liu, his brother, caught me in the act and I'd already kidnapped Jeff and everything. Had a complete mental collapse and she figured it out, came to beat my ass, and had to bust my old lava lamp over a cop's hand to make our escape into the night." I sighed as the nostalgia swept over me. "Chels survived and forgave me and I got over Kitty after having to run around with Jeff for over a year trying to find her. Problem solved, I've got the best thing to ever happen to me, and a new lava lamp."

"Aww baby," Chelsea hummed sarcastically before she loosed a dark laugh, "yeah, this asshole put me in the hospital. I'd still take that trip over Habit's torture extravaganza any day."

"Habit t-tortured you?"

The car came to a stop in Chelsea's spot and as she hopped out she lowered her shirt enough to reveal the bubbly scars and show off her half-regrown fingernails. A shiver climbed up my spine and Toby's eyes widened, reaching out to gently brush my fingers over the lettering.

"This one is from Tom," she pointed to her neck after fixing her shirt, "I'd still rather suffer through that again than ever survive another round from Habit."

"That won't ever happen because I'm never letting you out of my sight again," I corrected her as I wrapped my arms around her, "go ahead, we'll meet you up there."

Chelsea nodded and scampered up the steps while I reached into the back and grabbed for the presents, Toby following close behind before I nudged the door open with my foot. The smell of mint and cinnamon soothed every tense muscle in my body and he dropped his shoulders when he walked in, searching the front room as he took everything in. I dropped my items off on the counter before Chelsea came back out with a fresh sweater, the same one she'd worn Halloween night with the silver stars.

"Got Delilah's present?" She asked and I patted the wrapped rectangle on the kitchen counter.

"I'm smoking before we go, if I have to deal with her and Kitty's mom I need to be high."

"Good idea," she mumbled as I walked back to the bedroom, grabbing a joint from the stash before walking back out and flicking the lighter.

"What's life like where you and Jeff are staying?" I asked, dropping onto the couch while Chelsea grabbed a Red Bull from the fridge.

"Eh, n-not very different," he asked if he could sit and joined me while he talked, "Operator's got a big house, everyone has a r-room. Not everyone's on good terms but we're generally civ— civil."