25. Trapped

Liu

The sound of sirens in the distance echoed down the dark alleyway, freezing in my movements for the shortest time as I waited for them to pass. My heart slammed in my chest and I took a deep breath, pushing the frantic thoughts to the back of my mind before I shoved my hands in my pockets and continued walking. I couldn't stay here. Not for much longer.

I wrapped my scarf a little tighter around my face to try and chase the chill away. I'd slowly been making my way north in an effort to chase the only lead I had but my car had finally kicked the bucket in the snow and I had a hard time hiding myself in public, forcing me to move at night. I couldn't understand how Jeff could do it so well but then again I couldn't understand how anyone could love a face like that either. The constant reminder of Kitty and her droning speeches about his sweetness was finally gone but it didn't mean I felt good about it. Every now and then I'd turn to ask her a question only for the absence to answer me. It didn't bother me as much anymore.

As the wind continued to blow and I kept my eyes ahead I started to notice something in the background. There was a strange, static fuzz in my head that had been there for over a month now but even in between the buzzing I could hear it. Click-click. Click-click. It almost mirrored my step pattern and I figured out what it could be fairly quickly, changing my path and heading further down an alley instead of towards the city. I had the knife on me still but my gun sat on my hip, only eight bullets left that I wanted to use wisely. As I sunk into darkness I pulled the knife out, ducking against the wall and watching while the figure eventually followed my trail. The moment they passed in front of me I reached out, pinning a woman's body against my chest and holding the blade to her throat.

"Who are you and why are you following me?"

"Now, now, you don't have to jump the gun just yet," she started, her voice faintly familiar, "Liu, right?"

"You know my name, so you must know what I've done."

"I heard you offed your girlfriend because she wanted you to stop chasing your brother. She should've known not to step in between family business like that." I froze and she slipped out of my grasp unfazed. "I on the other hand would like to extend an offer of assistance."

My eyes narrowed and I pushed her back out into the light, spotting dark hair and a silky black dress over a catsuit. Black heels had been what clicked on the pavement as she followed me and as she looked up I caught a porcelain face, what I thought was a mask at first but as black lips smiled at me I realized something had been done to her. Even her eyes were completely black, not a single hint of emotion in them as she straightened up and locked that blank gaze with me.

"Who are you?"

"What, don't remember me?" She laughed, something twinging in the back of my mind, "I mean, I guess I shouldn't expect you to after what that asshole did to me."

"You...you went to school with us, didn't you?" My eyebrows furrowed as I looked more closely, "I remember your voice."

"You'd probably recognize me better if I started singing," the girl chuckled, a certain sweetness in her tone that could've gone sickly at any moment, "I used to get all the leads in the school choir."

"Jane?"

She smiled again, the memories flooding back to me. Little Jane Richards, she had been in the same grade as Jeff, but her hair had been lighter and her eyes much more lively. I noticed now that she had her own knife in her hand as she placed it back in the holster hidden on her thigh.

"That didn't take long," she purred, "I never intended to come out into the open like this but I learned never send a man to do a woman's job these last few months, so here I am to try and finish what he started. I figured finding you would be the best place to go first, I'll admit you were pretty hard to locate."