42. Playing favorites

Liu

We might've been on the run, but Silver Cove Inn staff knew my face and had welcomed us into the city with open arms. This place really and truly was a safe haven for serial killers, it seemed.

After the fight with Kitty and the girl I hadn't known we'd ran back to lick our wounds and try and cope with the loss. We'd been so close. That supernatural strength and crazed, murderous intent had been far too much for us to match. Her and I both had damage to our hands but in her years of living on the run she seemed to have picked up a few hidden talents.

"This is the same thing that witch did to Kitty's friend after the proxies attacked him," I muttered, watching as she traced a shaky sign in the air and placed it on my wound. It didn't heal it completely but it definitely felt better and she did the same to her ankle with a sigh.

"I've spent a while trying to learn things to help me but this has really been the only worthwhile trait," she explained, her own wounds on her hands already closed, "I don't have enough magical ancestry to learn much more but this is all I need. Had no idea that real witches even existed..."

"That girl with the blue hair, Chelsea, apparently she's adept," I chuckled darkly, "her and I used to be friends. I was the one who drove her to the hospital after Thomas attacked her. She still ended up with him in the end."

"I don't understand it," Jane scoffed, "how can someone forgive someone else for almost killing them on purpose?"

"I don't either. He slit her throat, left her for dead, and she still wanted him. Fucking insane," I laughed, holding my hand gently, "thank you."

"No problem. Friends got to stick together," she chuckled to herself as she held a hand to her lips, "I didn't think Kitty would be that scary. Her friend with the chainsaw wasn't fun either."

"I don't even know who that is. I thought I heard her say 'Habit' but—"

"Wait, Habit is one of Operator's proxies. He was in a guy before though, he's like a ghost who needs a host."

"Maybe he decided to swap teams. Help Kitty."

"Unlikely, but it's possible," Jane groaned, "either way at least now I know what Jeff sees in her. Fuckin' psychopath."

"Yeah, she's not one to be fucked with."

We both laughed at that one, finally taking the time to relax and try to make a new plan of attack. If Kitty showed up to save Jeff's ass it meant he was probably at the house with her but a direct approach would prove useless. The entire team of crazies was probably hiding out there so we figured if we couldn't grab them, maybe we could grab someone else.

A couple days passed and as the sun went down Friday night I watched the sky from the sliding door, fireworks lighting up the starry background. My mind jumped back to the Fourth of July I'd spent here doing the same thing, trying to hunt down my brother and snuff him out from the rest of the city. Jane approached the glass and I couldn't help but notice the way the colors reflected in those black pools of hers. It was honestly beautiful.

"Do you want to go out?" I asked suddenly, her gaze darting back to me, "I have an idea that might work."

"You know this city better than I do, lead the way."

I nodded and grabbed for the room key and my gun, walking out into the hall only to run straight into another inn guest. My first instinct was to apologize and he shook his head, laughing as he muttered something about being distracted. He was shorter than I was, stocky and wearing a red flannel, while his friend was in a long sleeve and jeans. They introduced themselves as Tim and Brian and wished me well before they walked away, Jane hiding behind me the whole time until they were out of sight.