41. Portals

Kitty

The party had moved back to my house and there were drinks and food aplenty as we showed Kate the digs. Chelsea and Thomas went to go get Delilah and Tim was out back with Brian, smoking a cigarette and enjoying the fireworks. Mom greeted our newcomer just like an old friend and Kate seemed completely enamored with the place while Jules excitedly talked to her the whole time, dragging her up the steps to the bedroom while I relaxed and made myself a drink. It wasn't long before she came back down sans-coat and blinked at me with starry, icy blue eyes. She couldn't have been that much older than us.

"Your house is amazing," she laughed, "I see now why Toby likes this place. Feels like a home we never had."

"My house has always been the general gathering place," I chuckled, "want anything to drink?"

"Oh, I don't want to overstep—" she waved her hands sheepishly while I laughed.

"It's New Years Eve, my mom got ready for a party," I explained, "you want something here, you got it. Don't be afraid to ask."

"Alright," she nodded, her face bright as she smiled, "yeah, sure. What do you recommend?"

"We'll start you simple, can't go wrong with a rum and coke," I chuckled, grabbing a glass for her before I rifled around the fridge.

"Thank you so much, we haven't had hard liquor at the house in years," she laughed, "you two are too damn sweet! I'm going to like living on the flip side again."

"Hey with us around you can't go wrong," Jules beamed as she took a seat at the island after scampering back to join us, "I love your eyes by the way, they really do shine under the warm lights."

Kate instantly blushed like crazy and I already knew Jules was back on her bullshit, flirting with any single woman she could get ahold of. Chelsea had changed into leggings and her favorite sweater from her work attire, the same one from Halloween, while Delilah was in jeans and a thick sweater to keep out the cold as they let themselves inside. I waved them over and Thomas raided the fridge, grabbing himself a beer while Delilah presented a bottle to my mother who absolutely beamed at the woman.

"It's a special occasion, I wanted to share my good wine with someone who'd appreciate it," she chuckled, "Tom can't stand the stuff."

"I eat organs, if I wanted red wine I'd go get my own," he gagged as the girls all laughed, "is Tim outside? I'm going to go kick him out of my chair."

"Don't be rude!" I scoffed, getting a grin before he slid the door open and stepped outside. Instead of kicking anyone out he lit up a smoke and joined them, laughing over the sound of explosions in the background.

As the night continued and the countdown clicked on the TV we all relaxed, chatting back and forth with everyone left at the house while the boys eventually came in for food. Jules got into a drinking contest with Kate, giving her googly eyes the whole time while I just sat back and enjoyed myself, kicking my feet up into Thomas' lap as he sat down beside me.

"Delilah's doing her thing right now and turning your house into a safe zone from Operator," he explained, "she let it slip the other day that she used to be a proxy too. It's why she knows so much."

"I had an inkling suspicion this was deeper than just what it seemed," I nodded, "we're breaking her contract too by doing this, aren't we?"

"Sure are. Feels good being able to give back to her after helping me for so many years."

"Tell me about it," I looked back at my mom, watching her talk to Chelsea as they sipped on a dark red wine, "I paid Mom ten grand when we came back. Emotional reparations for having to deal with us and our dumbassery."